Related autoimmune diseases Has anyone had other autoimmune diseases with or after having psoriasis?

Posted Tue 19 Jun 2018 02.41 by KanishaM

Has anyone had other autoimmune diseases with or after having psoriasis?

1 Posted Tue 19 Jun 2018 08.22 by new to it

i can say that i was 100% healthy until had thyroid removal (due to cancer). since then , started having hypothyroidism-related muscle and joint pain and fatigue . psoriasis erupted about 8 months ago . it all culminated to diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis nowadays/ + had long time suffered from urticaria/

Posted Tue 19 Jun 2018 10.01 by new to it

this (post above) is not to say that you will suffer from all of that/ just that you should pay attention to what pops up now and then and always ask your doctor about it.

Posted Tue 19 Jun 2018 14.58 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I think a consideration should be that psoriasis is likely to be a symptom of a "problem" or shock in your immune system, and so you might well develop other symptoms. I don't think that developing psoriasis necessarily leads to other conditions.

Posted Tue 19 Jun 2018 18.13 by KanishaM

I had psoriasis,it just suddenly went away years ago. So far it has no come back. However I have a host of other problems. I had a stroke at 39 and found out I have a rare blood disorder. Anti-phospholipid antibody syndrome. I have fibro,chronic fatigue. Sick sinus syndrome, 5 of the symptoms for Lupus. Had have a partial hysterectomy because of major bleeding and pre-cancerous cells on my cervix. INS. And last year had a large pre-cancerous polyp removed. I have osteoarthritis. My whole body hurts constantly. But I am thankful to be alive, because the doctors were not sure if I would survive my stroke. I am 50 now. I was a teen when I had Psoriasis.

Posted Wed 20 Jun 2018 21.21 by ASRH

I had psoriasis when I was in my 20s. Apart from a small patch on my scalp I lived for nearly 40 years psoriasis free, until about 3 years ago and now it is back and worse than ever. I am now 65 years old.. Aged 33 I was diagnosed with thyroid problems, at 40 I developed secondary adrinal deficantcy, at 63 I had surgery to remove a large batholine cyst, I have gaul stones and diverticulitis, I have been diagnosed with ciatica but I suspect it is PA, I also have gout. Most of not all of these conditions could be autoimmune.

Posted Sat 23 Jun 2018 23.45 by ASRH

I have been gluten free for nearly 2 months and already I can see improvement. I have also cut out egg yoke. I know I need to stop sugar and then dairy. I am not following any ‘diet’ just listening to my body. It hasn’t been easy but so worth the effort. I keep finding gluten or egg ‘hidden’ in food but gradually I’m avoiding these ingredients. Once I have got used to eating like this I will remove dairy.

Posted Mon 25 Jun 2018 09.15 by june

I have Hypothyroidism, depression, and psoriasis also every muscle in my body aches my psoriasis are on the nape of my neck and and just above part of my scalp,in my ears and elbows,I use vaseline on my ears, Diprosalic scalp application on scalp , I've found a great lotion for my skin it really works takes away itch and redness it's called Child's Farm baby moisturiser from Boots Chemist or Asdas costs £4..00 let me know how you get on with it

Posted Tue 26 Jun 2018 15.02 by Rose Mary

Hi I’m Rose I had a series of mini strokes starting in 2002 quickly followed by psoriasis thyroid problems & then arthritis, I use dovobet and coal tar solution mixed with betnovate ointment this is the only thing that works for me especially when I have a really bad flare up , I have to keep on top of it 24/7 but I don’t have an understanding or sympathetic go so am on my own with mine the last time I saw a dermatologist she gave me pills which when I read the information of I discovered I couldn’t take them due to other meds I’m on & I can’t hVe the light treatment either as I suffer from migraine s , thank heaven for my creams & my morphine or I couldn’t cope , I’m now in my 60’s & feel nobody cares as you guessed my last dermatology trip was a complete waste of time I got no offer of any alternative help. God bless you all my thoughts are with you x

Posted Tue 3 Jul 2018 22.45 by Bevlev

Hi My history is as follows. Three years ago I was diagnosed with an under active thyroid. Since then I have taken levothyroxine every day. As I was required to have regular blood samples taken it was noticed that I had a low white blood cell count. I then had to have a bone marrow biopsy and was diagnosed with myelodysplastic syndrome. This occurs due to immature blood cells in the bone marrow. Luckily my counts are at a point where no treatment is required. After diagnosis I noticed a rash spreading over my body. I kept going back to my doctor and he gave me various creams to use to no avail. Eventually it worsened and I realised that it was psoriasis as my son has had it for many years but his is localised. At the time I kept mentioning it to my consultant at the hospital in relation to the MDS. She said it does not affect the skin. My doctor then referred me to a dermatologist who confirmed it was psoriasis. I have recently had a course of light therapy then a holiday in the sun and at the moment am free which is wonderful. I then went to see another consultant and she confirmed that MDS can be a cause of psoriasis as it is all linked with the immune system. Sorry to be so long winded. I would be interested to know if anyone on here has MDS.

Posted Wed 11 Jul 2018 08.58 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Wed 11 Jul 2018 16.32 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Bevlev: I think that is worth keeping in mind two particular words often used regarding psoriasis: "cause" and "trigger" . The actual causes of psoriasis are not well understood. There is thought to be a genetic component, and it is generally thought to be an autoimmune disorder. Some websites state "it is a genetic disease". Many different triggers are known about - but what can trigger a flare-up in one sufferer, may have no apparent effect in another. I can see how MDS and any cancer treatment might be a trigger for psoriaisis but whether it is an actual cause I do not know. I first developed psoriasis in 1980 aged 22. It was all over my body including face and scalp. It largely cleared after about 12 months apart from few small patches which persisted for 4-5 more years and my elbows which have repeatedly flared up in a small way since then. In Dec 2017 I had a hip replacement and in Feb 2018 I came out in a combination of guttate psoriasis and plaque psoriaisis over my body and scalp. My doctor advised that the trauma of the operation might have triggered the autoimmune response.

Posted Thu 12 Jul 2018 19.20 by Emma

I was diagnosed with an under active thyroid about six years ago, and with psoriasis a year ago. I have been told there is not a connection between the two autoimmune conditions, so I am surprised to see so many other people reporting it. Also a hip replacement 18 months ago, but never thought of a connection between that and psoriasis.

Posted Sat 17 Nov 2018 22.37 by Weejuju
Hello there, my partner Stuart 39 has psoriatic arthritis. He was eventually diagnosed in 2016

My partner Stuart first developed psoriasis at age 6. His flare ups were terrible covering his back, feet, knees legs. No creams or ointments helped so he eventually went for light treatment. after that his psoriasis was far more manageable and usually on had flare ups in the winter. He played semi-profdessional football so was fit and healthy. Mid-late 20s he began suffering pain and stiffness in his legs but put it down to football. Around 30 he first sought medical help as more joints were sore and stiff and his mobility began to deteriorate. At 37 he was finially diagnosed with severe psoriatic arthritis. His feet are severely deformed and has recently suffered avascular narcosis in his right ankle. Waiting times for necessary appointments and so many misdiagnosis has certainly not helped. He is now on waiting list for surgery to try and save his ankle.

Posted Sun 18 Nov 2018 07.51 by Naman

Hi, I am Eileen, I am 86 and have never had Psoriasis, as far as I know, until July this year. It started in my scalp and within a few weeks it had spread all over my body. It was originally diagnosed as Dermatitis. I am being treated with emoluments and a foam spray to keep the skin moisturized, I have also been treated with steroids and steroid ointments and creams with 'very little improvement Five weeks ago my Dermatologist started me on a weekly course of Methotrexate. I am having weekly blood tests. I have diverticulitis, diagnosed forty years ago, under active thyroid diagnosed 20 years ago and oral litchen planus for two years. I understand these are all auto immune conditions. Has anyone else experienced a sudden onset in later life?. I have asked my doctor to take me off a beta blocker that I have been taking for two years and he has agreed to change it but I have to be weaned off this over a period of three weeks before I can start the replacement. I think this beta blocker might have contributed to the start of the psoriasis, I cannot be sure but the litchen planus started shortly after starting on it. I am in a bit of a sorry state and would be grateful for any advice. Stress may be involved as I care for my husband who has Alzheimer's dementia. I don't feel stressed but perhaps I am.

Posted Mon 19 Nov 2018 08.04 by Naman

Thank you for responding to my post Wendy, I will look at FODMAP and also consider the gluten factor. Reading some of the posts, my heart goes out to people who have to live with psoriasis from an early age. At least I have got to old age before it has reared its ugly head. I shall go and shower now and then cover myself with greasy, but soothing, Hydromol, before I start my day. I will try and change my diet and let you know how I get on. Thanks again. Eileen

Posted Wed 21 Nov 2018 06.38 by dianad

i am 71 yrs old..it is 11/20/2018...i have had psoriasis since 1970...i had been living with a family in italy..came home after 2yrs...one month later developed strep throat...one month later psoriasis from head to toe...one month later it was gone..doctors then didnt know anything except to sit in the sun 10 minutes a day...and send you out with out telling you it was psoriasis..hence the commercial then in 1970 dr. whispering you have the heartbreak of psoriasis.. over the years little bits of psoriasis..on elbows knees and knuckle joints which hurt badly..in 2014 it reappeared..on from my knees down to my feet and kept getting thicker and more painful .lost of stress during this time. being in the sun swimming in a pool for the first time never helped.. .in march of 2018..strep throat..(none since 1970.the.i also had was bitten by a spider on the top of my foot..inside of my shoe..2 months before that.no idea what type of spider..but i couldnt walk on my foot for two weeks found a walker!!! after the strep cleared up.. but i had a bad cough and flu like syptoms from april 1st the almost the end of may 2018.. decided to try a dermatologist one more time...went to a doctor in red bluff calif...at the end of may. she walked in..i start telling her my story....she said no need...you now have it on 3/4 of your body and we are going to make it go away. what??????for the first time since 1970...its going to go away..yeah right.. she said yes... we are going to prescribe TALTZ INJECTIONS 80mg....i did the shot my self it was overnited to my home in a cooler and cold packs.(not frozen).. i took a shot twice a month from june to aug. 2018...it was gone...i mean gone by the time i was receiving the second shot...thru cvs specialty pharmacy was who was sending me the taltz..($5,685.oo per shot.) i have medicare/medi-cal i am in calif.. the medicare covered 80% of the cost and medi-cal the other 20% at the end of aug. 2018 was the last of two injections per month.. now from oct. 2018 to may 2019..one shot per month and i see my doctor then in may.. i am about 90 miles from the doctors office..living in the sierras it has worked out well..no visits to the doc.. just communicating with cvs specialty pharmacy..and the dr"s nurse with a phone call. it is nov..and i get strep again..a carbon copy of march 2018...but the psoriasis did not show up..during the worse part of the infection...i could feel a little roughness on my lower legs but that is it... i cannot stress enough when i talked to the dr. in one visit i had 48 yrs of stress..embarassment and the heart break of psoriasis left my mind and i felt like i had just won the lottery and all my troubles were going away.. i wont reach my first year of this till may 2019..so i will try to keep this current on my treck thru this awful and very painful skin disease..that breaks many a spirit... dont give up it took me 48 yrs to get here.. xoxoxo to everyone...and dont give up...

Posted Wed 21 Nov 2018 06.52 by dianad

1970 for psoriais from strep throat..dissapeared..except for elbows..knees and hand joints.. till 2009 slowly took over my thighs top to the tops of my feet. was very painful found a dermatologist in red bluff, calif... she just looked at my said you have it over 3/4 of your body..you have medicare primary medi-cal secondary.. you qualify for TALTZ and injection... overnitied to me...in a cooler and jell packs.. 2 shots a month for 3 months.june..july..august 2018...then once a month till may 2019..i return to the doctor then and probably will have one shot a month for the rest of my life... it was gone by the second shot in the first month of june.... it is $5,685.oo per shot but my insurance/s pay 100% hope this helps...dont give up...i was discourged one visit 48 yrs later..its gone...and it also will help the pain of psoriatic arthritis...

Posted Sun 25 Nov 2018 11.22 by LibbyB68

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis about 4 years ago, the pustular psoriasis reared it’s ugly head just over a year ago. Never had stomach or skin issues up till this point. I’m now very worried about my career as I’m so sore all the time. I try to ignore it but my jobs so physical it’s gett more and more difficult (I’m a gardener)

To take part, sign in or register with us