Scalp itching

Posted Wed 20 Jun 2018 08.28 by Ria24

Newbie here. Wondered if anyone can recommend any good solution etc for itchy scalp. I'm on top of the scaling but the itching is driving me mad. I keep putting my Dovobet solution on every morning to relieve it but don't think that's good for my scalp as its steroids? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Posted Wed 20 Jun 2018 08.42 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Wed 20 Jun 2018 11.58 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

40 years ago I used to use Selsun shampoo - and it was excellent, but I tried it this year and I find it no longer does anything for me. My GP prescribed Capasal shampoo - and many people say they have good results with this, but I found it "undramatic". Another shampoo that I had good results with 30 years ago is Alphosyl Shampoo. I bought some of that again recently and it has greatly helped reduce the itching AND the flaking. It also appears to be less drying on my hair (it is described as containing conditioner - but I also apply a small amount of standard conditioner to the ends of my hair after washing, avoinding rubbing it into the scalp).

Posted Wed 20 Jun 2018 08.45 by Summer

Hi Try LOYON leave on over night really moves the scales for me? And helps with the itch Then I wash with T Gel Good luck

Posted Wed 20 Jun 2018 23.35 by RuthSnow

I used to be prescribed Cocois ointment which is very thick, orange, viscous and smelly. I put it on my scalp at night and slept in a shower cap! I think once or twice was enough though I did sometimes leave the treatment on during the day as it worked. More recently, when I get a severe attack on my scalp, I use a large bottle of T Gel shampoo, like the person above. Shampooing twice a week does the job by the time the bottle is finished.

Posted Thu 21 Jun 2018 08.28 by DanielC

There's a shampoo called MG27 and it is really good. Bought it in the States but you can buy on Amazon or Ebay. Enstilar foam is good - essentially dovobet in a foam. Though it isn't the best thing to use on your scalp as it leaves your hair looking like you've dipped it in a deep fat fryer and can take a few washes before its all out, Etrivex shampoo is also good. It's a steroid so use it once or twice a week to calm down the inflammation, and then just rub some coconut oil into your scalp at night so that the flakes are softened

Posted Thu 21 Jun 2018 09.18 by Ria24

Hi all thank you so much for your replies, infortunatly all the above I have used (still use the Cocois if the scaling gets really bad). Have no problem with the scaling (using Capasal at the moment but isn't doing anything for the itching) after using Alpholsyl successfully for a number of years but recently the istching came back. However there are a couple of things above I'll look in to. Thanks anymore suggestion would do be greatly appreciated 😁👋 x

To take part, sign in or register with us