Fumiderm

Posted Sat 23 Jun 2018 19.56 by t1gger

Any experience with this please. I have had p for 25 years plus. PUVA light treatment and all the creams under the son. Locum derm said to try tablets. Pick them up on Monda.y. Really looking forward to hearing from someone thanks julie x

Posted Sat 23 Jun 2018 20.22 by Gareth

I’ve been taking Fumaderm for a number of years and it’s been wonderful for me. It can only be prescribed by a consultant and is by and large held only by Hospital pharmacies. My initial reaction to it was a huge reaction - horrible diarrhoea for about a week - so bad I didn’t dare go out. However, once it settled down, my psoriasis improved rapidly. When I first started using it, I as covered, particularly hands, arms and legs. I’ve now been clear for about 4 years. Fumaderm isn’t licenced here, and is now being withdrawn in favour of a licensed version called Skilarence. I started on the new version today. The active ingredient - fumeric acid - is still the same, so I hope there’s no change to my condition.

Posted Sat 23 Jun 2018 20.53 by t1gger

Tahnsk you Gareth. I finally have if prescribed by my derm. Was sent to the wrong hospital to need to pick it up on monday. Looks like i need to start it when I come back from holiday in a weeks time ! Maybe call derm nurse on Monday and explain. Trying to take my son away for a week break over school holidays. I am the same 52 now and it comes back yearly. UVB works but having 3 appointments for 15 weeks takes a lot out of you. The locum made a suggestion for his tablet. I had liver scans to try methotroxate but my iron levels are far to high. The info leaflet they have given me also says Skilarence.

Posted Mon 25 Jun 2018 03.41 by Toodlesoodles (edited Mon 25 Jun 2018 03.42 by Toodlesoodles)

I was on it for 3 and a half months. Didn't do anything for me but curiously I didn't get any of the well-documented side effects associated with fumaderm. Seems that the side effects, although rough (though they get better with time), are a desirable effect of the medication as it's a sign it's working inside your body. I think the leaflet says as much. Was very disappointed as I've heard great things about it for those it works for.

To take part, sign in or register with us