Partner with Psoriasis

Posted Tue 26 Jun 2018 09.52 by helen_glitter

Hey, So I'm looking for a bit of advice and I hope you don't mind me posting as I don't have psoriasis myself but my boyfriend does. So he has pretty severe psoriasis (I don't know the type sorry) he's seen he GP in the past but got a bad reception and is now afraid to go, it's getting worse because he's stressing about his skin and it's affecting his body image. I'm worried about him and was wondering if any of you had any advice on supporting someone with Psoriasis? What would help you? Thanks! H

Posted Tue 26 Jun 2018 10.52 by ClearskinPls
Since 2001, tried uvb and creams

I understand what your boyfriend is going through....he is so lucky to have you understanding....so he is halfway there through this. Stress re body image can aggrevate psoriasis. Maybe a touch of concealer may make him feel better. Also look into diet? Avoid certain foods.

Posted Tue 26 Jun 2018 11.57 by OhNo_NotAgain?

The best way you can help him will be to somehow persuade him to see a doctor again - especially if his psoriasis is getting worse. See a different doctor if there is really a problem with the GP he saw before. But the way the NHS works, he will have to see a GP before he can get presribed anything or be referred to a dermatologist. I first came out in psoriasis for the first time all over my body including my face when at University (I am 60 years old now). My girlfiend at the time was great and used to regularly apply the salve I was given to my back. I can still remember standing in the shower after a rugby match and all my plaques were bleeding and sore after the rubbing of the rugbyshirt . . . . . a good mate of mine took one look at me and said "that girl must really love you".

To take part, sign in or register with us