Confused - Advice please - Dovobet ointment and Diprobase cream

Posted Sat 30 Jun 2018 22.34 by lwrightuk

Hi, I've been prescribed Dovobet ointment and Diprobase cream for my psoriasis. I don't have a regular doctor and seem to see a locum at every appointment. I've not been given specific advise and have just been told to use both every day for 2 - 3 weeks. The instructions for the Dovobet recommend using at night so I have been using the Diprobase in the morning after having a shower and the Dovobet at night. The Dovobet is quite greasy, like Vaseline, is this how it is supposed to be? I'm concerned that it doesn't seem to be absorbed into the skin. Once I've applied it, how long would you recommend before getting dressed, going to bed etc.

Posted Sun 1 Jul 2018 09.53 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I use Dovobet - if it is the ointment that you, have then yes it does have the appearance of vaseline. I massage it in as much as I can - you are only supposed to use a small amount and then spread it around. eg for each of my elbows I squeeze out a small-pea sized amount and massage it in to the elbow. For 20 minutes or so I need to avoid putting my elbows on furrniture. But I do not wait before going to bed. If by any chance you are simply spreading an amount over an affected area and waiting for it to be absorbed - i think you would be waiting a long time. Massage it in, go to bed and accept that you will have to wash sheets more often than other wise - or wear pyjamas and wash them. I prefer Doublebase Gel over Diprobase, I use it several times a day.

Posted Sun 1 Jul 2018 14.33 by lwrightuk

Thank you so much for replying. My partner uses Doublebase Gel which he was prescribed, I've tried this previously and must admit the texture and thickness is a lot better (as in not as thick as the Diprobase). From what I have read on the internet, Doublebase and Diprobase are similar in the way they work - would you say I'm correct in this thinking?

Posted Sun 1 Jul 2018 16.13 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Yes, they are very similar - you can find the full ingredients lists and useage advice (leaflets) from the manufacturers and NHS and other medical bodies, on the internet. I also use Doublebase Dayleve Gel - it seems to put an even more effective barrier on the skin than the standard Doublebase Gel. Both can be bought over the counter - my GP prescribed Doublebase Gel for me. Incidentally, my mother is 97 and lives in a care home. They use Doublebase Gel daily on her legs and other parts of her body to protect her skin.

Posted Sun 1 Jul 2018 16.59 by lwrightuk

Is the Doublebase Dayleve Gel anymore greasy/heavy than the Doublebase Gel, just curious to know as I have found the Diprobase Cream a nightmare with trousers and think I'll be able to get on with the Doublebase products. I thought I'd have to get a prescription for the Doublebase. That's good to know that I can by it over the counter. It'll be interesting to see the price difference between NHS prescription and buying out of pocket.

Posted Sun 1 Jul 2018 21.36 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I find that the Doublebase Dayleve Gel feels as if it leaves more of a protective barrier that lasts longer. I don't find either of them a problem for clothes or bedsheets. https://www.psoriasis-association.org.uk/forums/topic.aspx?ID=2143

To take part, sign in or register with us