Can doctors give dietary advice?

Posted Wed 8 Aug 2018 08.51 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Wed 8 Aug 2018 15.31 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

My experience in the UK is that GPs do give dietary advice - even down to formal diet-sheets. I have received this in the last 2 years and a good friend of mine at the other end of the country has also received such advice and aassistance from his GP. In my experience GPs also have access to dieticians - in my case in the same practice, so repeat/follow-up visits can be monitored by someone other then the busy GP who can still see you periodically but not necessarily on every return visit if it is just for basic monitoring checks. My local GP practice also has a Nurse Practictioner trained regardig psoriasis and other conditions and after my initial GP consultation I was free to choose whether to see the Nurse for follow-up visits or the GP. I still see my GP - making double appoinments (20 mins) so he has time to discuss matters with me and he is very happy to do that, even though it is a large and very busy practice. My GP was aso receptive to reading that I had done on the internet and to my questions and requests about possible courses of action and changes to treatments in regards to my psoriasis. I also have private medical insurance , and although I used that to schedule a hip replacement, I have not felt the need to "go private" regarding my psoriasis.

To take part, sign in or register with us