Hi, new here, struggling with skilarenence

Posted Thu 9 Aug 2018 20.16 by Pb632

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has experienced what I have. I was on fumaderm for about 18 months, all good, completey clear. Switched to skilarenence and I've had a huge flare up. My bloods have been really low and the flushes are painful, with the fumaderm they stopped after a while on the meds. I can't help but feel the drug change is to Blame? My derm is more concerned about my bloods which I understand. But has just prescribed enstillar (that does nothing) My derm suggested otzela then changed his mind as he's worried I might have more children. (definitely not going to happen) At my wits end this year the hottest year in the UK for years and I'm in jeans covering my legs all summer. My summer holiday to Spain was utterly wrecked I wish I didnt care what people thought. Any way, was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same? I've also had light therapy with the skilarence it cleared left me covered in scars but the p patches are already coming back. Tempted to go private, has anybody else? Sorry for the long one i just don't know what to do, it messes my mental health up alot and I'm in a bad place 😔

Posted Wed 26 Sep 2018 12.21 by heatheratkinson12@hotmail.com

Hi I have been taking Fumaderm since 2006 and was clear which is fantastic to say I have erthyrodermic psoriasis (worst one). Just this may the pharmacy that I normally get them from at the hospital gave me Skilarence instead of Fumaderm. I asked for my usual drug and they said that this is in place and now a licensed alternative. I could not have Fumaderm unless I sort it out with the dermis clinic nurses doctors cos they needed to be told to stock it as it is not licensed. I can tell you I am now covered in praises and as a nurse/ midwife I will soon not be safe at work and need this drug back. I have researched both items and although Skilarence works for people not taking this type of medicine before theres a chance it will not work for those already on Fumaderm. The figures prove it. Fumaderm is a more effective drug and the components are not exactly the same. I am on the phone to the dermis clinic waiting for a call back. Il let you know how I get on.

Posted Wed 26 Sep 2018 12.28 by Pb632

Wow so it's not just me then!!! I couldn't handle the flushing with the skilarence so I've stopped it and am going back onto the methotrexate injections. When I've mentioned to my derms I think all my problems and skin flared when I switched to skilarenence they have all pretty much dismissed my claims and called it a flare up. I've never had 'flare ups' my psoriasis is pretty much consistent and always has been, I wish it did come and go on its own! I hope they can get you back on the fumaderm I got on with it alot better than the skilarenence. Good luck, thanks for your response x

Posted Wed 26 Sep 2018 12.34 by heatheratkinson12@hotmail.com

Try to change the flushing happens if you are new to the drug or forget to take it. Methotrexate I’ve had 5 times and towards the end it did not work. It made me feel ill and destroyed my ovaries. They don’t tell you about that but it is rare. Fumaderm is fantastic and long term not ill effects. You have to work through the side effects when first starting but don’t let it put you off. Also the reasearch says Skilarence takes 16 weeks to get results as opposed to 8-12 weeks for fumaderm

Posted Wed 26 Sep 2018 12.40 by Pb632

I had the fumaderm for a few years and had great results the flushing stopped the more my body got used to it. I was then switched straight onto the skilarenence I've been taking it for abour 9months and the flushing is still consistent two or three times a day lastng for up to an hour I couldn't handle it when I was working it used to hurt so I just decided that was enough I persevered for 9 months, my bloods were consistently low thus Putting me at risk yet my psoriasis was awful, it did no good for me at all. At first I wondered what I'd done differently but I just haven't been able to put my finger on what has changed for this to happen. The only change was from fumaderm to skilarenence. I came off the mtx previously as couldn't handle the sickness. My dermatologist won't offer me anything else-reason being as im young and may have more kids, yet happy to give mtx 🤷‍♂️

To take part, sign in or register with us