In-between meds

Posted Sun 12 Aug 2018 01.50 by Claire

Hi. New to this forum. I was diagnosed with PA /RA in Dec 2009 and had sub-cut MTX (after not absorbing the tablets orally for months). I came off MTX after 2 years to try for a baby and was transferred to sulfasalazine. This seemed to work and I went on to have 2 children. In the third trimester of my second pregnancy I started to get pains where I never got pains (initially the pain was only in my wrists and finger joints; I would have a swollen finger for 24/48 hours and then it would go away and that would be it for 2 weeks). But in my second pregnancy the pain was creeping into my knees, additional fingers, feet. And i found it extremely hard bringing up a new born and a toddler. My youngest is now 14 months and when he was 11 months I was told to try MTX again but orally alongside my sulfasalazine. (I couldn't understand why I had to then take 2 lots of meds???) The sickness started within hours of taking it and felt so sick I lost a lot of weight and felt very very low in my mood. When i spoke to the blood monitoring nurses they told me to take a 2 week break from MTX and try again. I did this but still felt incredibly sick and the pain would take over my whole body and just makes me feel so weak. I was told last week to come off both my MTX and sulfasalazine as the neutrophils in my blood were low. I'm at such a loose end and seeing my consultant this week but I require advice on how to demand a new med. I do not want to go back onto MTX ever again but that is the only med I have been offered. Is this because it is cheaper? I have heard of humira and also a biomed called cimzia. Anyone heard of this? I feel I need a new path. My arthritis is completely different now to 10 years ago. It's all over my body and the pain is everyday as opposed to once a fortnight. I'm on painkillers everyday and that's not right. Surely a med; the right med should be enough? Thank you xx

To take part, sign in or register with us