Genital psoriasis worse after using Dovobet

Posted Thu 6 Sep 2018 21.37 by PsorryNotSorry (edited Thu 6 Sep 2018 21.51 by PsorryNotSorry)

Hi everyone I've been dealing with scalp psoriasis for the last 3 years and every few months or so, a new small patch will appear on my scalp. In the last few months though, I have developed psoriasis on my vulva. It popped up out of nowhere and what seemed like overnight. I have been treating it with Dovobet cream from my GP and the original patch is almost gone after 2 and a half weeks of use so far but I have noticed that since after about a week of using the cream, I have what I think are new patches on both sides of my vulva now and its red raw and painful. I went to the nurse about it and she said it was irritation from the Dovobet and gave me Epaderm to use along with Dovobet but it is making no difference whatsoever and feels and looks like the exact same first psoriasis patch I had down there but surely psoriasis can't just pop up over the course of a few nights like the new patches or whatever they are have?! Using Dovobet down there was fine until about 4 days into treatment. I am at my wits end and can't get another doc appt until the end of Sept. I do have a phone call appt with the GP tomorrow to see how the cream has helped though. I'm hoping its just irritation after all but its on skin that the cream shouldn't ever be touching. Its painful, I can't wear certain stuff like jeans, it makes me self conscious around my husband when he tries to be affectionate or intimate with me. If anyone else has genital psoriasis, I would love to chat to you as well. Feel so down and alone since this all started :( Also, I do have a local GUM/Sexual Health clinic near by that does walk in appts, would they be able to help? GP did swabs for everything and they all came back fine though. Even though my scalp psoriasis hasn't responded to any treatment and now my genital psoriasis has popped up, I've never once been offered a referral to dermatology. Thanks to anyone who reads this :)

Posted Fri 7 Sep 2018 11.22 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I have a recurring patch of redness and cracking/itching, that appears in my groin to the right of my scrotum (I am a man). It does not respond to anti-fungals alone. I forget what my doctor called it now, but it DOES respond to a mixture of anti-fungal and steroid. Specifically I use Trimovate and Elecon whenever it flares up and they clear it. Using Dovobet genitals is not recommended, UNLESS it is at the strict instructions and supervision of your Doctor (sounds like it is in your case). This is covered in the patient information leaflet. I recently had a little trouble getting Trimovate, but I was able to : https://www.psoriasis-association.org.uk/forums/topic.aspx?ID=2212 It might be worth asking your Doctor what he thinks about trying Trimovate?

Posted Sun 14 Jan 2024 16.33 by Psoriasissister

Is this still an active thread? I’ve been given this diagnosis and dovobet and I am hesitant to start the steroid. In so much discomfort.

Posted Fri 19 Jan 2024 08.40 by Mandy

I was in hospital with erythredermic psoriasis a while ago and had patches develop on my groin. The dermatologist prescribed trimovate which cleared up this area in a couple of weeks ..... just need to use this sparingly and it will clear.

Posted Fri 19 Jan 2024 16.53 by kiloran
From Lichen Planus to Plaque Psoriasis to Palmoplantar and Nail psoriasis - newly diagnosed 2023

Echo my experience in my groin (I'm a man). Warned off very strongly about using Dovobet or Enstillar down there and told to wash my hands well after applying or to wear gloves when going to the loo. Whenever I get issues in that area I use Lotriderm prescribed by my consultant which is a combined antifungal and steroid (Betnovate). Usually two to three days and it clears up. These aren't plaques as such, more like skin splits in flexures and folds.

To take part, sign in or register with us