Apremilast (Otezla)

Posted Sun 28 Oct 2018 19.13 by littlegirlblue83

Hello, Is anyone on/been on Apremilast (otezla) for plaque psoriasis? I've to start taking it this week after the dermatologist ruled out PUVA, methotrexate and ciclosporin. I was wondering how people have found the side effects? From what I've read online the nausea, upset stomach and headaches can be severe for the first few weeks. It's really putting me off starting taking it. I'm looking for any advice anyone has from being on it. Thanks

Posted Mon 29 Oct 2018 09.04 by leejacks

I only lasted 6 days. The side effects were too much for me. If you can get through the initial side effects the result can be amazing so definitely worth. A try. I am probably going to give it another try when I get to see my dermatologist in 6 months.

Posted Mon 29 Oct 2018 10.22 by littlegirlblue83

I am a bit worried about the side effects with my hour and a half commute each way to work. Did you have the side effects from day 1? I'd rather the doctor had put me back on MTX or Ciclosporine, I didn't get any side effects with either of those but he's said he'd prefer to try something less toxic to start with.

Posted Mon 29 Oct 2018 13.39 by leejacks

I got side effects from day 2. just looser stools. The diarrhea gradually got worse but not unbearable. Day 4 the headaches and nausea started, by day 6 the nausea and headaches were unbearable so was advised to stop. If it was just the diarrhea I would have persisted. The symptoms do increase over time, when you start taking Apremilast you gradually build up the dose upto day 7 i think. I understand your problems with the commute but everyone is different and you may not be effected as bad. I think you should probably at least try it. The side effects were always worse 1 to 2 hours after taking a dose so you could time when you take it.

Posted Mon 29 Oct 2018 18.57 by aceofspades

I have both psoriasis and psoriatic-arthritis. I have tried ointments, methotrexate, Humira and presently on Otezla. I have been taking 30mg twice a day for over a year. It is sort of the "Goldie Lox" solution. Although I was a poster child for Humira having excellent results for both clearing of skin and joint inflammation and no side effects. However, who wants to have regular blood tests, or have to deal with the angst of having a compromised immune system? "May cause cancer!" No thank you!. Otezla gets me to 95% clear skin, I have just a stubborn spot on the scalp that extra-strength Neutrogena T-Gel helps to manage. But it doesn't quite do the job of relieving me of joint inflammation. Even though I'm long into using Otezla, my one complaint would be my #2. Yes, loose stools are common at the beginning, but even now I find myself in the bathroom more frequently. Maybe I'm an anomaly.

Posted Tue 12 Feb 2019 13.49 by Heidiloobylou75

I’ve just been put on apremilast. I was prev on ciclo, I’m sure that made me Become more widespread as since on ciclo and had side effects, I stopped and the had UV therapy , no joy. Now it’s spread loads. Hideous. So on the apremilast. Only side effect I hope I get is the loose weight side lol . Bet won’t be that I get! Joking aside, how long the side effects last? Do they wipe u out?? Thanks and how quick does it reduce? X

Posted Tue 12 Feb 2019 14.02 by littlegirlblue83

I had to stop taking them after just over 3 weeks. I had an almost constant sore head from the start then after a few days I was feeling nauseous in the morning and by the end of week two I was still feeling nauseous with a sore head and an upset stomach most days. It wasn't working for me with a 1.5 hour commute each way to work and it left me feeling completely done in so I came off of the tablets and the topicals I was using and tried to overhaul my diet instead. I've seen some improvements since November just from the diet changes - mainly the redness/inflammation reducing and the larger patches are starting to break up with no new outbreaks. The doctor started me back on Zorac Gel (Tazarotene) at the beginning of February and it seems to be working well again.

Posted Wed 13 Feb 2019 08.17 by Heidiloobylou75

Started the 2 week starter pack. So,been reading about the side effects, if I suffer, when am I likely to start getting them if I do? Is this a good drug that’ll work? Legs covered almost and holiday in May hoping it’s alot better by then?! What the expectations? Thanks x

Posted Fri 22 Feb 2019 19.06 by charlee1985

I am currently on day 5 and I have a little bit of nausea, stomach aches with gas and diarrhea. I hope that they will go away as the itchiness has already gone away and so has the plaque. I've read that over the counter anti-diarrhea medication has helped others so I might give it a try.

Posted Fri 22 Feb 2019 22.16 by Heidiloobylou75

I’ve had a Terrible Head cold pressure in head but dunno if the medicine or if just cold but easing off just trouble getting to sleep esp when the husband snoring lol I’m on day 8 slight redness reduction but still scaly 😩I’m also taking acidilophilus which will help from within .... also upped water

Posted Mon 3 Jun 2019 22.25 by Jenora

Hi. I was on otezla for almost 3 years. Side effects were horrendous for me. Pretty much instant severe tension headaches/ migraines. But I persisted... as we all want freedom from P... all be it. Temporarily stomach upset and nausea faded after. A few months. It did actually completely clear my condition up. After about 4 months. However. I suffered from life altering migraines whilst on it. But. Tolerated it. I was taken off the drug in March. It started to fail. Which apparently is not uncommon. Now gone back to my ‘leprosy’ state ! Hate myself. Hate it. Migraines however have reduced dramatically. Win some. You lose some :-( If you have avoided any side effect in the first few weeks. Stick with it. It’s a slow progress. But it did work. Guess it’s just my bad luck.

To take part, sign in or register with us