Starting Stelara next week. Advice?

Posted Fri 13 Mar 2020 00.07 by Tom92104 (edited Fri 13 Mar 2020 00.08 by Tom92104)

Yearly update: So I'm still using Stelara and it's incredible. I'm virtually clear; just a bit of dry skin on my knees which I manage to control with a bit of moisturiser. No biggie. I sort of get a mini flare up or week or so before my next injection, which consists of a few spots the size of pimples on my arms appearing, but these disappear quickly after the next dose. So far, so good. If anyone's considering going on this treatment, I suggest go for it!! 17 months in and still spectacular.

Posted Wed 18 Mar 2020 13.30 by Robbo1979

Hi all, I have suffered with P since I was a child. I have been treated with every possible treatment but nothing seemed to work. I was then put on stelara and finally I was clear, the miracle I'd been waiting for. I was on stelara for a couple of years until I was admitted to hospital and placed into an induced coma for 4 weeks as I had developed encephalitis. The neurologists treating me have linked my use of stelara and its immunosuppresent nature to my developing encephalitis. Their findings of my case have been published in the British Medical Journal.

Posted Sat 23 May 2020 22.46 by RachelVictoria

Hey Tom I’m 27 and have had psoriasis for like 20 years and the doctors have all done the ‘tick in the box’ treatments so I feel you. Light treatment is my ultimate love however obviously I can’t do that forever :( I’ve been on stelara injections for about 7 or so years and honestly its been a game changer for me. Yeah, it’s not perfect, unfortunately we still have to hold out hope for the miracle cure. I do still have to keep on top of flare ups with trusty dovabet, but compared to my life before I wouldnt want to go back to any other treatment because it has dramatically changed my psoriasis by a good 75% so its so much more manageable. Hope its going well for you? x

Posted Mon 19 Oct 2020 07.41 by Milliedixon

Hey, I been on this injection for some time now, and it's worked amazing for my skin, but not for my health. I have zero energy anymore, I put on loads of weight , I have pain in my legs , my heart races all the time, worse part for me is my eye sight have got so bad I can't see without glasses. Ny mood changes all the time, i have a frequent headache, The list goes on I'm stopping taking the medication now, as much as psoriasis was a pain in my life I really don't want to experience anymore of that. I'm going to do a fish diet instead with vitamin and back to exercises and boxing. I thought exactly like you all and tbh this medication in the beginning was amazing I had zero side effects. Reading up about it alone should scare people taking this. I hope you all the best though. I'll let you know how my journey goes without medication....

Posted Mon 19 Oct 2020 13.56 by Loops

Hi Milliedixon Sorry to hear the problems you are having. Obviously you have to weigh up the pros and cons as to whether or not to stay on the drug. I also found that I had little energy, my eyesight was suffering, plus other symptoms. When I visited my nurse for my regular blood test, I asked for a Diabetes test.The result came back positive. I am now in control of my sugar, I have loads of enegy and have lost a stone in weight. My eyesight has also improved. I was ignoring the symptoms as I assumed it was down to the Stelara/psoriasis, too many of them overlap. Just a thought......

Posted Mon 19 Oct 2020 15.03 by Milliedixon

Hey loops, yes I have been checked for diabetes but mine came back negative. I used to be so fit and healthy before these injections. It's a shame really as they are the only thing that have worked for me. Oh I hope my eyesight gets better after stopping these. X

To take part, sign in or register with us