Nail pscoriasis recently diagnosed

Posted Fri 2 Nov 2018 20.56 by Sharronb

Hi I have recently been diagnosed with psoriatic nails. I have always been known for my beautiful nails , having them done every two weeks but now they are so awful. After a period of extreme emotional stress and upset my nails suddenly changed , I had a build up of debrit under the nail which resulted in my nails crumbling away and being discoloured. Had tests for a fungal nail infection which were negative but as soon as I saw a dermatologist she immediately asked if I had family history of psoriasis which I do. There doesn't appear to be much treatment for nails alone , and I would love to hide then using tips or acrylic nails. Does anyone know if this is ok to have done.

Posted Tue 26 Feb 2019 15.37 by Nail Psoriasis Survivor (edited Tue 26 Feb 2019 15.49 by Nail Psoriasis Survivor)

Hello! I had severe nail psoriasis, same conditions as yours with stress trigger and naturally pretty nails. I found treatment that worked, I did not get acrylics because honestly there wasn’t much to stick them too and I also believed it would do more damage than good. I’m so glad I didn’t because after trying nearly every topical treatment available (chose not to do oral medication because of damaging side affect to organs for an otherwise cosmetic problem) and it worked!!! I can’t describe how horrible my situation was, when I went to doctor (condition onset and deterioration in about a weeks time) I was immediately sent to ER because it was so awful looking. So, to begin I had to put Vaseline and wrap it for about a month and I think I had antibiotics since my nail was so severely infected. Once the infection and skin inflammation was under control and after trying lots of things that didn’t work my doctor started doing target nail injections (there is research on this treatment your doctor can access for dosage recommendation) it didn’t feel good, but it wasn’t as bad as the psoriasis. Then the miracle treatment for me was a combination of gel clobetisol for skin outbreak and liquid clobetisol to get under my nail bed for treatment and an aggressive schedule of light therapy. You do have to be careful with correctly following dosage information and only apply it in infected areas as it does lead to skin thinning, but I was careful and always followed directions and have had no problems using it. For UV therapy, I was at the hospital where we had the light box so often that the parking people and maintenance thought I was an employee. I thought that was funny. Anyways, I think I did three times a week for a couple of months. I also started taking a low dose anti anxiety medication when needed and got short term therapy to help me learn more effective ways to deal with my stress, which I think has been the most long term successful thing I have done at preventing further outbreak. I still occasionally get the little bumps and have slight nail bed separation, but have not had the severe outbreaks since I found the right treatment. I felt so fortunate to find a dermatologist who beleived that I could get better and kept working so hard doing research to find out what was wrong and how to treat me. He was a young new doctor and was more helpful than a lot of the many older doctors who just had never dealt with it before and didn’t really try to help me like he did. He had warned me that at some point I may develop arthritis, and unfortunately it’s been about 7 years since my diagnosis and initial outbreak and in the finger it was most severe I have started to develop severe joint pain, but have yet been diagnosed, although due to the place and type of pain I experience there isn’t much else it could be. That’s what brought me back to the forum after all these years and I saw your post and hoped my long and tedious journey finding a way to recover from the nail aspect could be helpful. I hope you get the help and treatment you need to heal, it’s an awful disease but it can be overcome!

To take part, sign in or register with us