Trying to stop psoriasis from the inside

Posted Mon 31 Dec 2018 07.15 by Grandadbaz

Hi Everyone New member & first post in this forum ,I’m 70 and the last fifteen years have been living with Eczema & psoriasis. 72 journeys to hospital for all over light therapy but like a lot of people now live with it using prescription topical gel. Having tried many moisturisers came across one that can be used on newborn babies upward , Child’s Farm Sensertive moisturiser 98% natural ingredients, I’m not saying it’s a wonder treatment but really stops the itching to gain a good nights sleep. I’m now trying to cure my problem from the inside out starting with the gut tract , I’m making my own home made Kefir , very cheap and has cleared a lot of the Eczema,lots of YouTube information regarding Kefir and how to make it. The great Hippocrates once said, “all disease begins in the gut”. If the walls of the gut are breached then the body overreacts , in our case Eczema & Psoriasis, hope this gut long repair works. Regards to you all Grandadbaz

Posted Tue 8 Jan 2019 14.09 by LcyB

Hi Grandadbaz and Wendy, I'm new to the group and this is my first posting! I started suffering from Psoriasis on my feet, in the summer. It's on my fingers too and is climbing up my leg. (I'm 58) It's just been positively diagnosed via a biopsy. I've done loads of research and am trying anything and everything I can. The first thing I started to do was make my own Kefir! I use goat's milk (have used oat but the lactose in goat does make for a better batch). I am pretty sure I feel better since I've started drinking 400 ml a day. I hadn't thought of looking at the FODMAP diet, but of course, being antiinflammatory it makes sense. I take various supplements - a multi vitamin, vitamin c, a fish oil, vitamin d spray and Turmuric with black pepper. I also take two drops of 1200 CBD oil. I've been using the Body Shop Hemp cream and alternating with Epaderm. I use Aveeno bath oils to wash and soak my feet with. Nothing really seems to help and I guess I'll never have baby soft feet again! Wish I'd appreciated them more!! I've been looking at a product made by Dr JRK (Psorolin Oil etc) and might give their products a go. It's a horrible disease and I'm really glad I've found this group. Lucy

Posted Wed 9 Jan 2019 01.39 by Grandadbaz

Hi peeps Thank you for your response and thoughts , since posting on this forum I have been searching the internet for ideas and came across a guy named Dr John Bergman on YouTube he is primarily a chiropractor but his knowledge of how the body works and his conclusions seem pretty lodgical to me. His thesis is that the brain , the gut ,and nervous system all work together in the body as a self healing echo system. There are literally dozens of videos to view across all sorts of medical problems. Just have a look and see if he makes sense to you. Kind regards Grandadbaz

Posted Wed 9 Jan 2019 17.52 by Grandadbaz

Hello Wendy Sorry I used the word peeps which is short for people in my vesinity , if you are offended my sinsere apology’s. I thought this forum was a self help group to pass on any knowledge and to help each other where possible. I never tried to make out John Bergman was the be all to medical problems , all I said was have a look and draw your own conclusions to me he makes a lot of sense Since joining this group a short while ago I decided to join in and give my thoughts with two postings. As from now on I will not be posting any more messages . Regards to all other sufferers on this forum Grandadbaz 😕

Posted Fri 11 Jan 2019 23.45 by Christie

The best topical non prescription ointment I have found in my travels is bag balm. It works way better for me then any thing else as far as non prescriptive management goes. It is made for cows udders to deal with chapped tits. I swear by it!!!! It’s inexpensive and works the best for me. Bag balm-green can. Udder butter does not work as well!

Posted Sun 13 Jan 2019 22.59 by Jeannette50

Hi Wendy, I think it may be possible that strict adherence to diet and lifestyle may put some people in full remission for P not to recur again. Studies appear to have shown that our diets have altered our bodies environment and made our system too acidic. Certainly our diets do not provide enough vitamin D or magnesium (which are common deficiencies) and by the way magnesium needs to be taken with vitamin D as they work in conjunction - D being pretty useless without magnesium. Maybe following the various dietary options that are at the moment considered just to provide therapeutic benefits in the right combination would achieve complete remission. After all it is only in recent months that there has been acceptance of 'curing' diabetes 2 by losing weight. It is of course complex. If you look at the last link reinvolvement of both bacteria and fungus (which are the most devious of microbes that are the current concern of the medical profession), we all need to work on ensuring the integrity of skin from birth. Hope you find the links interesting. Effects of Turmeric (Curcuma longa) on Skin Health: A Systematic Review of the Clinical Evidence. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27213821 https://www.psoriasis.org/advance/psoriasis-linked-metabolic-syndrome Current knowledge on psoriasis and autoimmune diseases https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5683130/

Posted Mon 14 Jan 2019 11.16 by Jeannette50

Hi Wendy, I know about the calcium - but it is unusual for anyone to be deficient in this. In terms of reducing acidity (topical) I have been applying apc in the last 24hrs and this has really reduced the bumps on my scalp. I believe P (and many other skin conditions) are multi-factorial, but likely to be kicked off by a baseline over acidity in the gut hence Stress being a factor as it depletes the production of prostaglandins. Once you have this acidity it is ideal for fungi to grow and some bacteria prefer more acidic conditions (though for most a neutral PH is ideal). It is good to learn and get in control of your own health :)

Posted Mon 14 Jan 2019 23.39 by Jeannette50

Hi Wendy, Sorry if I was unclear but APC vinegar is one that in fact reduces acidity: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/38jzBcHNHD1jWpLtVybgj20/is-apple-cider-vinegar-really-good-for-me See abstract below re the reason I believe it is out of sync gut bacteria is due to the many forums I have scrutinized and a good number of folk who have changed their diets, eliminated various skin conditions including P and reintroduced foods. Sometimes they can do this fully with no recurrence while at others certain foods appear to disrupt the system again. Big triggers are pretty much known to be stress and illness (esp. antibiotics that disrupt gut bacteria). The abstract below probably explains my ideas better. As it says "Moreover, it has recently become obvious that alterations of these gut microbial communities can cause immune dysregulation, leading to autoimmune disorders." From: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3337124/ Abstract "Keeping a delicate balance in the immune system by eliminating invading pathogens, while still maintaining self-tolerance to avoid autoimmunity, is critical for the body’s health. The gut microbiota that resides in the gastrointestinal tract provides essential health benefits to its host, particularly by regulating immune homeostasis. Moreover, it has recently become obvious that alterations of these gut microbial communities can cause immune dysregulation, leading to autoimmune disorders. Here we review the advances in our understanding of how the gut microbiota regulates innate and adaptive immune homeostasis, which in turn can affect the development of not only intestinal but also systemic autoimmune diseases. Exploring the interaction of gut microbes and the host immune system will not only allow us to understand the pathogenesis of autoimmune diseases but will also provide us new foundations for the design of novel immuno- or microbe-based therapies." As all microbes can alter faster than we can learn how to defeat the ones we don't want I doubt that we will ever totally conquer them. But we can hope.

To take part, sign in or register with us