Can’t sleep because of the itching

Posted Sat 5 Jan 2019 11.20 by bridsca

Hi I’m new to this forum. In desperation I’ve felt compelled to ask for help re the itching caused by psoriasis at night especially. The worst areas for me are behind my ears and between my breasts. I have had outbreaks in other areas also...over the eyes and creases around the mouth. I use Protopic daily behind my ears ... I know it’s not recommended for daily use but nothing else works. Along with the psoriasis I have very sensitive skin so I’m restricted in what I can put on my body. My question is: Can anyone please suggest something to relieve the itching at night. I use calamine lotion and emollient cream but their effect doesn’t last. The lack of sleep and constant itching is draining . All ideas are welcome.

Posted Sat 5 Jan 2019 12.35 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I found that a warmish/lukewarm bath last thing at night with Oilatum bath oil, or Oilatum Plus bath oil in the water helped suppress the itching enough for me to get to sleep. I used 2 or 3 times the amount specified in the instructions (you can also use it in the shower if you wet your skin first, just put it on your palm and apply to wet skin). It did not stop the itching all night, but I found it was the best thing to help me get to sleep (I live alone and so had nobody to apply an emollient or any other treatment to my back). The best emollient I found for me was Doublebase Dayleve Gel (better than the usual Doublebase Gel).

Posted Sun 6 Jan 2019 19.17 by OhNo_NotAgain?

You can also try taking 1 piriton tablet, it is an antihistamine. It helps reduce the itching for some people.

Posted Sun 13 Jan 2019 22.20 by Sab

My sister son has exzma I know it's not the same. She bought him hemp cream. Less than a week it worked no itching & flare gone down. My son has psoriais so going to buy hemp oil shampoo. Anything cannabis plant related seems to be good. worth a try & Good luck

Posted Mon 14 Jan 2019 00.22 by Jeannette50

Organic oats in a stocking soaked in hot water, let it cool and apply. You can either use the weaker solution in the water or squeeze the stocking for a thicker lotion.

Posted Mon 14 Jan 2019 14.30 by bridsca

Thank you all for your recommendations.. I’m interested in trying out the oatmeal suggestion but I’m unsure how to use it. Does the oatmeal form a paste and should it be applied for long? I’ve started taking vitamin D in the spray form...it’s supposed to prevent a further flare up.

Posted Tue 15 Jan 2019 08.35 by june

Hi,I use Child's Farm baby moisturizer it completely removed scales and redness and itchiness,I buy it from Asdas£ 4 ..00 a bottle it's great You can get it in various supermarkets I hope it helps you

To take part, sign in or register with us