Health Concerns

Posted Wed 9 Jan 2019 4.01pm by ElleCee94

I was just diagnosed with psoriasis, and both my dermatologist and various online articles have said that psoriasis can cause heart issues. I am 24, and apparently people 25 and under can develop problems like heart disease, arthritis and cancer. I have not yet begun treatment (insurance issues, but I will get my medication soon) and I am worried about my psoriasis becoming more severe. So far it is one my scalp with small patches on my right arm and let leg, but the risk of disease is what has been on my mind.

If anyone has any advice on this, please let me know.

Posted Wed 9 Jan 2019 10.08pm by wendyloish

Hi EllaCee,

Sure you can end up like me at 72 with chronic diseases, but if you look at what the medical profession says (although I think they are wrong) chronic diseases are part of ageing. One of the reasons I come on this forum is to tell people like you what the traps were that I fell into, so that they in turn may avoid them. Diet and lifestyle choices you make now could possibly impact your health in later life. At your age I did not appreciate that. And I suffer for that now. But do not be anxious. My grandmother, who suffered from psoriasis for much of her life, and in her old age developed other chronic conditions like type II diabetes, went on to live to the grand old age of 99. As a young girl I used to tell her to go out and sun-bake, but she was from London, said that that was just not what English people did. I wonder what she would say about them now.

Little was known when I was young about what the cause of psoriasis was, all we knew was that it ran in families. Today you have so many advantages. Many years of research have given us an understanding of the immune system. Many effective treatments have been developed. When I first got psoriasis as a teenager, I consulted with my grandmother, and she gave me a big tub of sorbelene. Today you would be given a referral to a dermatologist. I did not see one of those until I was in my thirties, and then it was for my nails, not my skin.

My advice, which has become a bit of a mantra for me, is look to diet. There is a correlation with gluten intolerance, lactose intolerance and fructose impact and autoimmune dysfunction.

Good luck

wendyloish

To take part, sign in or register with us

The Psoriasis Association is the UK's leading national charity and membership organisation for people affected by psoriasis – patients, families, carers and health professionals Read More >

Get in touch

The Psoriasis Association Dick Coles House 2 Queensbridge Northampton NN4 7BF

Email: mail@psoriasis-association.org.uk

Tel :
01604 251 620
Fax :
01604 251 621
Registered with Fundraising Regulator -

© The Psoriasis Association Charitable Incorporated Organisation Number: 1180666 Scotland: SC039886 Privacy PolicyCookies

Site by Spoken Image | glitterfish

We use cookies to help us provide you with a better service, but do not track anything that can be used to personally identify you.

If you prefer us not to set these cookies, please visit our Cookie Settings page or continue browsing our site to accept them.