Psoriatic Arthritis AND Fibromyalgia?

Posted Fri 11 Jan 2019 17.33 by WorkingMumOf3

I’m 47, had nail psoriasis sine Iwas 14 and was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis 2 years ago, although I have been symptomatic for 8 years. I have been prescribed Methotrexate (stopped at 8 weeks due to hair loss), Sulphasalzine (stopped after 7 months as not effective) and Otezla (stopped at 16 days due to allergic reaction). My regular rheumatologist has relocated 200 miles away so I saw a different one in December as a stop gap while the Health Board appoint a replacement. He didn’t examine me properly nor question me about my issues. He just pressed my chest and back, saw me wince and said he suspects Fibromyalgia is my main problem, although he doesn’t dispute PsA in my hands and feet. He arranged further scans of my hands and said if inflammation levels are high he suggests Leflunomide, but if they are not, to treat me for fibromyalgia instead! This is despite me telling him my fingers are rapidly becoming deformed and the joint pain in my hands, feet and hip is increasing. Has anyone else on here been co-treated for fibromyalgia and PsA or seen an other rheumatologist and subsequently been treated solely for fibromyalgia? Also, what are your experiences of Leflunomide please? After suffering hair loss from Methotrexate, I understand this can be a side effect of Leflunomide also so am naturally concerned about this.

Posted Sat 12 Jan 2019 09.03 by WorkingMumOf3 (edited Sat 12 Jan 2019 09.08 by WorkingMumOf3)

Thanks Wendylosh. I had previously googled FM and yes I suffer a lot of the symptoms, which are very similar to those of PsA! Fatigue and stiffness are by far my worst ones. Some reports say between 30% - 50% of PsA sufferers also have FM. The rheumatologist said they often co-exist. But I had found nothing on the forum about it. Some interesting information in your post - which website did you get this from please as I would like to follow some of the links? Many thanks.

Posted Wed 13 Mar 2019 11.34 by caromg

I was diagnosed with PsA 5 years ago although i don't have Psoriasis. I was then diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about 2 years later - My inflammation levels, although not my pain, have been relatively well controlled on Methotrexate injections. My Rheumy consultant has twice now made comments along the lines of - maybe i just have Fibromyalgia, and asked if i ever had any joint issues!!! i do wonder if they read my notes at all!

To take part, sign in or register with us