First appointment with dermatologist. What to expect?

Posted Fri 18 Jan 2019 17.45 by PsorryNotSorry

Hi everyone. I have had psoriasis for a few years now and it has always been dealt (unsuccessfully) by my GP until a sympathetic doctor finally refereed after I started to get plaques down below and in my ears - which caused recurrent infections. Before then it was only on my scalp. I have my appointment with a dermatology consultant at my local hospital in a few days time. I am both excited and nervous to see the consultant, if that makes sense? I am a bit worried that he wont take my psoriasis seriously since compared to many other sufferers, mine is very mild. Just wondering what to expect and to see what happened when you guys all first met your dermatologist? Thanks in advance! Will update how the appointment goes! :)

Posted Mon 21 Jan 2019 22.49 by Essexgran
Lifelong symptoms but with recent severe widespread flare ups

I’m assuming my first appointment was typical. Firstly, however busy the waiting room is, when it’s your turn the dermatologist will take their time and you won’t be rushed.. They will do an examination of all your psoriasis and take a medical history. They will discuss treatments that may be different from those offered by your GP. They may send you for a blood test. As well as how much psoriasis you have, they will take into account how much it is affecting you. Good luck!

To take part, sign in or register with us