Scalp

Posted Tue 22 Jan 2019 16.24 by Emma

Any tips for reducing patches of dry skin on scalp and dry hair apart from using Ketoconazole 20 mg/g? Is using baby oil overnight likely to help or worsen condition?

Posted Tue 22 Jan 2019 17.21 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Emma, Ketoconazole is an anti-fungal treatment, I would not use it simply for dry skin. Is your scalp simply a little dry and flaky or have you actually been diagnosed with psoriasis? Some people posting here have said they use coconut oil on their scalp overnight. There are numerous shampoos available that say they are targetted at dry/flaky scalp. For dry hair - a conditioner or masque perhaps? I use Alphacade PSO shampoo, and Alphosyl shampoo. Keeps my scalp itch-free and psoriasis-free.

1 Posted Tue 22 Jan 2019 18.43 by Jeannette50

Alphacade PSO shampoo contains Salicylic acid as the active ingredient - you can crush 3 aspirin in your normal shampoo for the same effect. If your psoriasis is caused or aggravated by scalp fungus coconut oil may feed the fungus (due to its particular fat content).

Posted Tue 22 Jan 2019 18.51 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Wed 23 Jan 2019 09.18 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Jeanette: are you saying that psoriasis is CAUSED by scalp fungus? If Emma merely has dry skin - she does not need to use antifungal preparations. As often is the case, it is useful if not important, to get a proper diagnosis before choosing a treatment. By the way, the active ingredient in aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid, not salicylic acid, they are different things.

Posted Tue 22 Jan 2019 21.21 by Jeannette50

Hi OhNo_NotAgain, No I am not I said 'if'. There are studies (ongoing) implicating both fungal and bacterial in P, both fungus and bacteria are perfectly normal on the human body, but for varying reasons in some people a reaction occurs - this may be in conjunction with other health issues that makes a person more susceptible to P given that it is an autoimmune disorder.

Posted Wed 23 Jan 2019 09.13 by OhNo_NotAgain?

It is not unusual to get a fungal infection in a psoriasis patch, but to say "if your psoriais is caused by scalp fungus" suggests that it is a known mechanism rather than speculation.

Posted Wed 23 Jan 2019 12.18 by Emma

Many thanks to all who have responded. I will check out Alphacade PSO shampoo and Alphosyl shampoo. I have been diagnosed with psoriasis on my body and seborrhoeic dermatitis on my head and face, needing to use as and when anti-yeast/antifungal shampoo - hence prescription for ketoconazole.

Posted Wed 23 Jan 2019 19.08 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Wed 23 Jan 2019 19.13 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Any high-street chemist has Alphosyl. The Alphacade I buy online from: https://www.cocooncenter.co.uk/ https://www.cocooncenter.co.uk/item-alphacade-shampoo-pso-scaly-skin-200ml/14313.html I know that some medicated type shampoos can be very drying for the hair - I find these two are OK for my hair, and I take one with me whenever I go to the hair-dresser. My hair is quite long, so I also use a regular conditioner on the hair - but only on the length- avoiding the scalp itself. I regularly have my hair coloured with a semi-permannent colour, and no problems for my scalp (they do a periodic patch test, if my psoriasis has flared up before an appointment) I was quite surprised my hairdresser was aware of psoriasis, but they told me that all of their staff are trained regarding common scalp conditions.

To take part, sign in or register with us