Scalp psoriasis

Posted Mon 28 Jan 2019 20.24 by Sylv236

Help. Had psoriasis since my teens everywhere. Had it on scalp when red,scabby and scaly. It's not like that now however but it is there "under the scalp" . On one part particularly it is very itchy and is driving me mad. I know the itch from when it was scabby but this is different. Tried Shampos and oitment. !! Hubby has inspected but couldn't see anything. Seriously thinking about visit to docs. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Posted Mon 28 Jan 2019 20.40 by victoria

Sylv236 Aldi do an organic coconut oil solid by cooking oils it melts to the touch to keep it clean I get a tea spoon and take smigding of touch with finger tips and massage into my scalp leave over night poo a clean hand towel over my pillow case. Then wash in Johnson's baby shampoo it's the only one that does not irritate it and just use treemme conditioner the white bottle rinse out well. Once a month I use tea tree shampoo and conditioner from wilko not there Apple one too strong the Alberto one 99p each so not expensive and if I claw it just out e45 cream on to stop infections. Good luck please try it helps me if I could only stop scrating it's stress at moment with me makes it flare up soon hopefully it will heal up. God bless ya Victoria

Posted Mon 28 Jan 2019 22.11 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Sylv236: why not go to the doctor anyway? Give them a chance to help you, and they might surprise you.

Posted Tue 29 Jan 2019 02.58 by victoria

Sylv236 She said she has used shampoos and ointments. I agree go to GP I WAS only telling how I get relief Because that itch makes you feel like you have nits on scalp. Relief is what she was looking for Victoria

Posted Tue 29 Jan 2019 03.33 by Jeannette50

I found that when I was prescribed calcipotriol for the scalp it didn't do anything much - in fact the day after it had spread somewhat. Now this may have happened anyway, but I stopped using it, especially after research on the topicals used that mostly after use see a resurgence after use and more often a worsening of symptoms. There are lots of options for natural topical treatment options to relieve symptoms and treat lesions (if you search the forums here). Also try the site: 'The People's Pharmacy' - I am currently using apple cider vinegar which seems to reduce inflammation and stop the itch. My research points to Malassezia fungus and bacteria disruption - we all have these on us they get out of kilter, so I am also using tea tree oil when shampooing (with non SLS shampoo and condiitoners), and coconut oil with tea tree oil to both moisturise and control bacteria. My research is also pointing me in the direction of gut bacteria (or microbiome) as being the root cause of the disruption of fungal and bacteria balance (which is beneficial) which is likely why many forum users here are finding diet changes of such benefit.

Posted Tue 29 Jan 2019 12.06 by Sylv236

Thank you all for responding so quickly. It's so very comforting to know someone cares. I will try Victoria's suggestion and let you know how I get on. Other than that it's the Docs......

Posted Tue 29 Jan 2019 17.31 by Jeannette50

Topical treatments will only temporarily treat the symptoms. P is an autoimmune disease so you need to treat it from the inside too. Look at the whole of this site for a more comprehensive idea of the steps you might need to take, but don't just rely on treating symptoms topically.

Posted Tue 29 Jan 2019 22.09 by Sylv236

Thank you jeannette50. I will definitely research and learn. I have already gained a lot of info from this forum. You have provided a great deal of info in your post . Over the years I have learned that what treatment suits one doesn't agree with another. Hopefully I can get this terrible itch sorted.

Posted Thu 31 Jan 2019 14.04 by Jodie

Hi wondering if anyone can help with using enstilar I have been using it a few days and it’s great taking all scales off of my scalp but I’m looking for advice to u I continue to use the enstilar on my scalp on the redness when the scales come off any advice would be greatly appreciated

Posted Thu 31 Jan 2019 17.36 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Thu 31 Jan 2019 17.37 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Jodie: what was the advice (or the instructions/guidance) from the doctor or dermatologist who prescribed it for you?

Posted Thu 31 Jan 2019 19.33 by Jodie

I was told to use enstilar on my scalp and body twice a day for 2 days I just wasn’t sure if u was to put it on the redness I’m new to all this only just developed psoriasis out of no where and it’s bad all over my head and body just don’t want to make anything worse I have light therapy Monday I’ll maybe wait and speak to someone there thank you

Posted Thu 31 Jan 2019 19.35 by victoria

Hi Sylv 236 & Jodie I have purchased today from home bargains Lanes teangi tea tree & witch Hazel cream Antiseptic cream, which is cooling &soothing it also relieves pain and itching my brother uses it on his scalp it heals all red sores £1.99 a large tube pop a small piece on finger tip and massage into affected area . I am going to start using today more expensive in Holland and Barrett + Boots give it a try ladies bless you all Victoria, I will let you know how I get on with it after weekend only a small amount so a tube will last nearly 6 months it's worth a try good luck all

Posted Fri 1 Feb 2019 23.39 by Tones44

My daughter was prescribed Sebco ointment for the scalp and Capasal shampoo and in just three months there is no trace of P on her scalp. It was so bad with itching, red scabs and constant flaking. Highly recommend! Best wishes.

Posted Fri 1 Feb 2019 23.41 by Jodie

Thank u very much I have been given cocosiol think this is similar to the sebco? Enstilar has taken all of scales off my scalp and body it’s been life changing fantastic ! Although enstilar not to be used too much so going to start putting the cocosoil on now in the mean time and hope it keeps p at bay xx

Posted Fri 1 Feb 2019 by Jeannette50

Hi Tones44, Has your daughter's P stayed away? If so for how long and does she follow a maintenance programme with any medications, topical or other?

Posted Sat 2 Feb 2019 08.27 by victoria

Hi Tones44 I tried Capasol for 3 months because it contains coltar it made my scalp worse like burnt it so no coltar shampoos for me. Different things work for different people. I go back to basics and start afresh at moment trying lanes teangi from home bargains. Only second night last night seems ok so far touch wood and don't boast going to wash my hair this morning and apply while hair is wet as can get to scalp better with long curly hair it is a night mare will as promised keep all updated seems to have stopped pesky itching Victoria.

Posted Sat 2 Feb 2019 14.26 by Tones44

Jeannette50 Hi, we have been using the treatment every other day for 3 months and there is no trace at all on her scalp. She is still using the shampoo but not needing to use the Sebco for the last couple of weeks, so at the moment we are just keeping an eye out. We tried everything before (Dermalex, Coaltar, Oregan shampoo) and nothing worked. I took her to a Dermatologist and this is what was prescribed. Also for her body she has Dovobet which is a steroid but we only use it when it is really bad. What we are finding good as a moisturiser is Aveeno for irritated skin. My daughter is 14 and has had P since the summer. I hope this may help x PS. She has just gone out with a black top on - unheard of 3 months ago!!

Posted Sat 2 Feb 2019 14.37 by Tones44

Victoria Hi, yes, you are right, what works for one doesn't always work for another. It really is trial and error. We tried the coconut oil with argan oil which was great after the hair was washed but it was back the next day! Keep us updated re the Teangi. x

Posted Sat 2 Feb 2019 16.14 by victoria

Hi Tones 44 I washed my hair this morning and used on scalp it tingled at first but soon calmed down were I had scratched it the day before. The other places I had patches have dried up and dropped off it is still early but looking good as I said £1.99 from home bargains. Apparently they do shampoo and conditioner I will ring home bargains see if they stock it if this cream works out ok I shall try those next. Let you all know next week it has took itch away over the moon so far Victoria

Posted Sat 2 Feb 2019 16.45 by victoria

Good afternoon all I have ring my nearest home bargains and they have not even got the cream, I was in Newark Thursday they had it. Wish I had known about shampoo and conditioner while I was there they sell it on Amazon and eBay who are both supposed to be reasonable tosh they are not. Ring your nearest home bargains before trying to poo in and grab a tube ask if they can order the cream in should be able to. Amazon has no shampoo and conditioner in stock any way Victoria

To take part, sign in or register with us