Joint management

Posted Sat 9 Feb 2019 10.30 by HelenCF

hi, i have psoriatic arthritis in my finger, and it is very tender to the touch, and when it flares up i struggle to bend my finger. I just wanted some basic advice on whether it is better to keep my finger straight, or if it is better to keep the joint moving by bending it (though this is painful to do) so that it doesnt stiffen - i just want an idea of whether im doing more harm.

Posted Sat 9 Feb 2019 19.29 by joe (edited Sat 9 Feb 2019 19.38 by joe)
50%-ish psoriasis coverage, scalp, elbows, shoulders, back, stomach, calves, toes

Personally I'd say that everyone is different. My psoriasis related aching joints tend to be more continuously stable and painful rather than being a pain reducing / flaring condition. One thing I recently discovered that really does help reduce inflammation in my fingers, knuckles and wrists is blending / juicing the following every day: * Celery, 4/5 sticks * Spinach, a handful * Apple, 1 * Pineapple, about a cup full when chopped * 1 sprig of fresh mint leaves * 1/2 a lemon squeezed juice * A big heaped teaspoon of ground turmeric powder * A pinch of cayenne pepper * A pinch of black pepper When blending, add about 500ml of water to the above. I drink this lot first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, it blends to about 2 pints of green loveliness ;) tbh it really doesn't taste bad at all, it's all natural and it makes me feel human. Whatever you do, I'd say that reducing inflammation to reduce further damage is a must.

To take part, sign in or register with us