Methotrexate failed what next?

Posted Tue 19 Mar 2019 19.57 by Bethan55

I suffer with severe P, i have done for about 12 years. Topical and lgiht therapy did nothing and i was started on Methotrexate about 5 years ago. It changed my life and worked miracles! However the past year the side effects became too much- i felt so weak and would get poorly on a weekly basis- my hair was falling out at a scary rate and at Christmas, after another week of being too poorly to do anything, and another clump of hair in the shower i decided to stop taking it. I have recently moved so i am still waiting to see a dermatologist for advice but im now 3 months in - no treatment and as you can all imagine my P is back! Its spreading so fast and im starting to lose control of it- any advice on any natural methods that i might be able to do or if there is any other treatments that i could try that wont have the same side effects as Methorexate :(

Posted Tue 19 Mar 2019 20.17 by gmoore3110
Psoriasis sufferer since I was 14

Hi. I feel your pain! I’ve been on methotrexate for 4+years and it’s become less and less effective recently. I’m going through a bad flare up but I don’t want to stop taking the tablets in case it goes mad! You may have read about people healing their skin with diet. Plant based, gluten free, dairy free, sugar free, juicing etc etc. Try googling Hanna Sillitoe or Jason Vale, or Medical Medium. I want to find a way to control it without creams and pills, so I’m giving the diet a go. I’ve only been on it just over a week, and a lot of people say It’s slow progress but it works, so I’m sticking to it (mostly!)

Posted Tue 19 Mar 2019 20.47 by scouternorm

I haven't had psoriasis on anything other than my hands & feet, but CBD oil has worked wonders with my plaque psoriasis. Possibly it would work for you, if you can get some. I have found relief with a topical application of CBD oil. I don't ingest it. It's expensive - $90 for a 40 mil bottle in Canada, it lasts about 1 month, and it's not covered by drug plans. In a little over 1 year, I would say that it has cleared up my hands & feet by over 90%. As CBD oil is used more and more, I am sure that it will relieve symptoms of a lot of afflictions. In Canada, we need a medical prescription to buy it from a producer. I have uploaded before & after photos here: http://www.normtoogood.ca/psoriasis.htm Good luck!

Posted Fri 5 Apr 2019 18.50 by Sylvie

Just looked at your before and after piccis, wow they look fantastic. So pleased it works for you.

Posted Sun 21 Apr 2019 20.03 by Idy
Phototherapy, methotrexate, ciclosporin and stelara afficionado

Hi Bethan55. If Methotrexate is having bad side effects, you could ask your dermatologist if you could be prescribed another systemic medication, such as Ciclosporin, or a biologic medication such as Stelara. See the 'Psoriasis and Treatments' section of this website for more info on these. Ciclosporin has worked well for me in the past, and currently Stelara is working a treat.

Posted Thu 25 Apr 2019 17.01 by Essexgran
Lifelong symptoms but with recent severe widespread flare ups

First of all you are not alone. Many, many people on this forum know exactly what you are going through and feel for you. You need to be under the care of a dermatologist. As you’ve been on Methrotrexate, is it worth asking your GP to fast track you or ask your previous dermatologist to contact your new local hospital?There are other systemic and biologic treatments you can try. I’ve “failed”on light treatment ( burned) , Methrotrexate ( gastrointestinal problems), cyclosporine ( problems with blood pressure) and have just started biologics. There are lots of treatments. Good luck.

To take part, sign in or register with us