Psoriasis on anus or perianal itch

Posted Sun 26 Apr 2020 08.06 by AMK

Hi all. I too have been suffering with perianal psoriasis for nearly 3 years now! Just wondered if any of you had any updates on your discussion or any success stories? Thanks.

Posted Sun 26 Apr 2020 17.56 by Talia

Lotriderm cleared my skin back to how it was before psoriasis. However when I stopped using and it came back

Posted Sun 26 Apr 2020 18.28 by Gus123

I’ve not really found any full time relief. It seems quite cyclic with me. However, I’m coping with it at least 75% better than I was. What I’m doing: Where possible, washing after going to the toilet (shower head in bath if you have one is perfect) Small amount of emollient in the morning after showering. Using hair dryer to dry my bum. Canesten HC when I’m having a bit of a flare up (I’ve seen two dermatologists that have said the 1% hc is ok to use on a frequent basis). Think about it less. This one is 100% the hardest, but most effective. I would say that it’s a fully psychosomatic, but the constant anxiety of it certainly makes it worse, and is a key trigger for psoriasis anyway. Good luck!

Posted Sun 26 Apr 2020 21.03 by SubZ82

Did you see my reply: Cream name: Mometasone Furoate 0.1% w/w Cream 30g Works well on anus once a week.

Posted Mon 27 Apr 2020 08.20 by Gus123

Hi SubZ82, I’ve been a bit hesitant to move to a medium potency steroidal cream. Would you mind if I ask you some questions please? What sort of symptoms did/do you have? My skin is mildly red (not angry) when I’m having a flare up. I have some itching, but more so I have a burning/chafing feeling when I perspire. What treatments did you try before the mometasone? Do you put the cream on the really sensitive areas of your bum (sorry)? Sorry for all the questions, but without this forum, the answers to these questions are impossible to find. Thanks

Posted Mon 27 Apr 2020 22.42 by SubZ82

Hello, I got recommended this over regular hydrocortisone by a private gp as she said the hydra is more for babies. I apply it once a week otherwise my anus becomes itchy. It seems fine to me. Give it a try it feels warm on initial application then is fine and it helps by the next day you are feeling much better / I don’t even notice any need to itch for most of the week now so long as I apply it thinly once a week

Posted Mon 27 Apr 2020 22.44 by SubZ82

Your symptoms sound similar to me. Try it.

Posted Mon 27 Apr 2020 23.12 by Gus123

Super helpful, thanks. And you put it on the very soft/sensitive areas?

Posted Mon 27 Apr 2020 23.44 by SubZ82

Yea I’ve put it on my ass and penis head xD works fine thinly on both

Posted Mon 18 May 2020 18.17 by Idy (edited Mon 18 May 2020 18.18 by Idy)
Phototherapy, methotrexate, ciclosporin and stelara afficionado

I too have persistent psoriasis in my anus. The itch was particularly bad in bed. When I first reported it to my dermatologist, they advised me to apply Lotriderm twice a day for a couple of weeks, then reduce this to just one day a week. A year on and I'm clear. It must be working, as when I forget a week it comes back pretty quickly!

Posted Wed 27 May 2020 07.19 by AMK

Hi Jayxx, I was just wondering if you use any other ointment In-between the weekly use of the protopic?

Posted Wed 27 May 2020 08.40 by Jayxx

I find I don't need to. However, initially, i did try some doublebase dayleve gel (which I use on my legs) but it was a bit messy, as you can probably imagine so use a minimal amount.

1 Posted Wed 27 May 2020 08.59 by AMK

Ok, thanks for the reply.

Posted Thu 25 Jun 2020 17.10 by ItchyE

Boots Dermacare Psoriasis treatment cream. It is steroid free, contains an ingredient called Ectoin. It has worked wonders for me, worth a try!

Posted Thu 25 Jun 2020 19.23 by Rudstar

I have used a cream called dakerinin from my gp for sensitive areas. And can also get it in the chemist. This does work for me over time. But i have to use a steroid for my disc looking psorisis which is a slow battle. Now i have started to slowly figure out a massive trigger which is wine the night before. And next day boom. Back to square one.

Posted Thu 30 Jul 2020 10.28 by Kerato

Gus123 I read about dapsone as well. Sadly there appear to be just two research articles/reports in the medical scientific literature about the use of dapsone for genital psoriasis. Neither are randomised controlled trials (RCT) so the evidence is not considered strong. In 2016 a pharmaceutical company announced it was developing a topical formulation (ointment) of dapsone for the treatment of acne, but I don't think it is available in the UK. Dapsone is an antibiotic, used to treat leprosy, but also appears to have anti-inflammatory activity, which is presumably how it worked for genital/perianal psoriasis. There is not much scientific literature about genital psoriasis, a lot more needs to be done, but I found a review article which is useful: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30145740/ I have tried various steroid creams, some quite strong, and protopic (tacrolimus) with not a great deal of success I'm afraid. I am actually seeing my dermatologist in a few weeks time so may be trying something else.

Posted Fri 15 Jan 2021 06.18 by Mario64

Protopic has worked well for me, anus and penis head. Unfortunately everything comes back pretty quick without it.

To take part, sign in or register with us