Holiday Sun Makes My Psoriasis Worse.

Posted Sat 22 Jun 2019 16.58 by Sarah

Has anyone’s skin got worse when they are on holiday in the sun? Mine gets itchy and I can’t sit in the sun as it became sore even though I have sun cream on. It isn’t the sun cream as I always stick to the same product especially for sensitive skin. Any ideas?

Posted Sun 30 Jun 2019 10.23 by Abbieb

When I go on holidays my psoriasis usually tends to get worse the first few days of sitting in the sun all day gets extremely red but afterwards it starts to clear up and I can see a change.

Posted Sun 30 Jun 2019 16.11 by lindylou

My arms tend to be clear of psoriasis in the winter but lo and behold when I go out into the sun they become red, hot and then psoriasis begins to develop. My dermatology nurse told me that over the years my psoriasis has probably become photosensitive.

Posted Thu 4 Jul 2019 18.20 by Philippa

My psoriasis has been really quite good over the winter and I was really looking forward to a summer of shorts - alas as soon as temp rose so did my psoriasis, and this week in particular has been itchy so had to take more anti histamines

Posted Fri 5 Jul 2019 10.35 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Wed 25 Sep 2019 03.51 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

My experience has always been that getting sun on my skin and swimming in the sea improved my psoriasis dramatically and greatly. But always avoid burning your skin - that seems to have a potential to trigger psoriasis.

Posted Tue 24 Sep 2019 21.32 by LuckyWhite

lindylou, Philippa, has anyone been able to tell you why your P gets worse in the summer? I only get it for the summer months and I’m convinced there must be a reason for it!?

1 Posted Wed 25 Sep 2019 04.44 by wendyloish

Have you tried a sun cream containing tea tree oil? The oil acts as an antibacterial. I suspect that the sun cream is clogging up your sebaceous glands, allowing bacterial action to start in the sebum [that oily waxy stuff your skin produces]. Sorbolene with tea tree oil has certainly helped stop this problem on my face. Anyway, I think it is worth a try! wendyloish

Posted Fri 27 Sep 2019 14.28 by gavler09

when im on hoilday mine gets a bit better in the sun mines verey bad at the min

To take part, sign in or register with us