Vitamin D deficiency?

Posted Sun 12 Oct 2014 00.27 by pmfunk
Since 7 years old initially on elbows, then moving to knees, hips and shins, plus scalp.

Much as I hate to even consider the veracity of a Daily Mail article written by its ill-informed and panic-stricken teenage "medical" columnists, my wife pointed out to me that they say a vitamin D deficiency is common in psoriasis sufferers. Coincidentally I have just had a blood test for my asthma and you guessed it, I have a vitamin D deficiency. I have been keeping out of the sun since I had a basal cell carcinoma removed (yes, I know, but I'm not a hypochondriac) which could account for this. Has anyone else come across this?

Posted Tue 28 Jun 2016 10.47 by abz1967
since i was 5, ongoing nightmare

this is really interesting as i too have a vitamin D deficiency

Posted Wed 29 Jun 2016 11.44 by Jude
I am 53 and have had psoriasis since I was 15. It mainly covers my elbows and knees. The only time it disappeared completely was when I was

Hi there, Yes I too suffer with psoriasis and have a Vit D deficiency. I've heard that its quite common. I recently purchased Vit D in a spray form, which the manufacturers claim, is absorbed directly into the bloodstream without passing through our digestive system. Apparently the body retains more that way with no harm to other organs. I've also heard that it works better combined with Calcium, so I take that too. I've only completed two weeks so its early days yet.

Posted Fri 8 Jul 2016 08.08 by belfie99
hello, have had psoriasis for 18 years mainly hands and feet but in the past few mnths started to cover my body now on methortrexate

hi, yes i have it too, keeps dropping down very low levels but my doctor has never mentioned that this could be related to my psoriasis ? he just keeps giving me intense courses of vitamin d. i originally found out because i had burning feet and the doctor said i either had low vitamin d or diabetes the blood test reveled i had both infact myreadingwas under 10 very very low, why would doctors not know about this link.

Posted Tue 12 Jul 2016 22.10 by HALTman

Just chiming in as another that had a vitamin D deficiency. I started eating foods fortified with vitamin D about a year ago and actually felt like it led to a noticeable improvement in the severeness of my psoriasis. Admittedly...up until the deficiency was pointed out to me, my diet in general was not that great.

Posted Sat 16 Jul 2016 00.16 by Heidi
face, ears,scalp. aged 61

My doctor said I had low vit D,but that it was quite common and not really something she wants to treat with supplements. I don`t know why not. Today,I have discovered a link between low vit D in the body and psoriasis,which she did not mention as I was there for my psoriasis. So I am speaking to her on Monday and am not only asking for Vit D in tablet form,but also for Curatoderm cream for my face as it is a topical application of vit D which apparently is a better way to help Psoriasis.

Posted Thu 28 Jul 2016 10.25 by Pipster

I'm another with vitamin D deficiency too. There must be some link to this and the cause of psoriasis

Posted Thu 28 Jul 2016 23.53 by CurlyP

Dr suggested I might have SADs which is linked to vitamin D deficiency interesting and worth a look into.

Posted Sat 1 Oct 2016 16.00 by Mark

I found out that I was vitamin D deficient after a routine health check. I started taking a vitamin D supplement and noticed some improvement in my psoriasis after three weeks. Now my vitamin D level is well inside the reference range and the psoriasis is clearly milder. It hasn't gone away completely but it comes back more slowly after treatment (with Dovobet).

Posted Sat 1 Oct 2016 16.12 by Heidi
face, ears,scalp. aged 61

I finished the course of vit D to help with my low level and did not see any difference in psoriasis.But I must go back and get retested and give it another go if need be. My doctor did not prescribe me topical vit D cream,which I wanted for my face.I am tempted now to ask to be referred to a dermatologist as I have p in my ears and nostrils as well and I don`t think GP`s are particularly up on all this.

Posted Sun 2 Oct 2016 21.49 by obi1138
Hey guys,long time sufferer,even longer drum and metal lover!hoping to meet,chat and find fellow afflicteds....let's stick together!

Hi, vit D deficiency is related to P,the best way is to get `good` sunlight,this does help longer term,winter is the time that we struggle and where other oral and topical D treatments struggle too...it's just another small but crucial part of what we need.x

To take part, sign in or register with us