New to Psoriasis aged 73

Posted Fri 5 Jul 2019 20.41 by BeeBee65

Hi everyone. At first I was treated for scabies,,then when it didn’t get any better with treatment I returned to the doctors and was seen by a different doctor who immediately told me it certainly was not scabies but badly infected Psoriasis. It’s looked horrible but it’s the itchy ness of it all the time. Most of the larger areas have calmed down now but I seem to have lots of little spots of it which are very random al over my body but mostly tops of my legs and tummy, back of my arms and a few on my face.. are there different types of this horrible psoriasis because I seem to have different looking spots and patches. Any advice,info or help, greatly appreciated. Thank you BeeBee.

Posted Sun 7 Jul 2019 10.54 by Diane42

Hi BeeBee, I only started Psoriasis when I was 75 and like you was misdiagnosed for a long time. Your symptoms sound the same too. The breakthrough for me was NHS Narrow band UVB light treatment at the hospital. It's not cured but now 6 months later is manageable. My main current problem is what to wear that doesn't irritate the skin. Adice please! Diane42

Posted Tue 9 Jul 2019 00.48 by wendyloish

Hi, On the subject of what to put next to your skin, I have found over the years that cotton is the best answer for me. From the time I was in school and had to wear stockings, synthetics irritated my skin and made it break out, especially my legs and arms. I even found that I needed pure cotton sheets. It is not to say that I do not wear synthetics or wool, I do, but I make sure under them is cotton. Cotton underwear, cotton T shirts, cotton pants. I do wear woolen socks, and some of my clothes are cotton synthetic mixes, but that is about the availability of cotton versus synthetics. Being me, I have wondered what it is about synthetics that causes the problem, as they are chemically inert. The only thing I could think of was that they are capable of holding an electric charge (static electricity), whereas natural fibres are not. If I am right about this, then living in a warmer more humid environment would lessen the problem as there would be less static electricity in the synthetics. Hope this is helpful. wendyloish

Posted Sun 21 Jul 2019 00.31 by psoriasis123

Hi, I was misdiagnosed for almost 2 year. I started with just a little bit of psoriasis on my scalp and on my arm, but it's now spread and is quite extensive, mostly quite small though, but my scalp is the worse and it feels like a cap on my head, its so difficult to treat, so I decided to grow out my hair instead. Then like Diane I got NHS UVB treatment and I finished maybe 3 months ago and my psoriasis complete faded for two months, but now it starting to come back but not flaky just red. My scalp still horrible. There are many different types of psoriasis, but its the same basic principle, to treat the psoriasis there are many good topical treatments that worked, enstillar is very very good, but my psoriasis became so extensive that it was to time consuming. The thing about psoriasis is that you kind of get used to it, and it dosen't really bother me

Posted Wed 11 Sep 2019 11.04 by linacruise1467

Agree with the first comment.

Posted Sun 24 May 2020 09.02 by Jen

I wear mainly cotton and can't bear some jeans on as they feel like sandpaper. Anyone tried different foods? Mine is mainly spots around my legs

Posted Sun 31 May 2020 09.21 by Jane

For all, you guy's that are struggling with this condition try the following routine and creams! good luck guys! I use all of the following which helps a lot! 1) Hydromol ointment - I use this 3 times a day if you can but two will do, rub all over your body and us a babies hair brush rub this all over your body and shower off. Towel dry. 2) Exorex lotion - once you have towel dried your self put a thin layer all over your skin let it dry before putting your clothes on. To be done twice a day! 3) Silkis ointment - to be done once a day after your last shower and you have done all of the above. If that doesn't work I also have been given a mouse called - Enstilar which I put on just before I go to bed (I use this if I get a bad flare-up). Hope this works for you and I know it is not easy but don't itch! good luck!

To take part, sign in or register with us