Shampoo treatments for psoriasis

Posted Mon 2 Sep 2019 20.44 by tom_m

Hi there, I'm just writing to ask if anyone has recommendations for treating psoriasis on the scalp. I have an appointment with my GP next week, and wanted to be forearmed! My scalp treatment regime has been: • Vosene pretty much every day as my regular shampoo. • Then every 3-4 days I use off-the-shelf Nizoral shampoo (ketoconazole 20mg/g). • Also on occasion tried off-the-shelf Neutrogena T/Gel. However none of these seem to be working at all. My psoriasis has been steadily growing on my scalp, so that now the patches are noticeable on either side of my head when I've had a haircut. It's also in small patches around my hairline (especially on my forehead and ears). Any help or advice would be really appreciated. I don't think the shampoo needs to be particularly strong - I am relatively luckily in that mild steroids seem to do the trick everywhere else. Many thanks, Tom

Posted Mon 2 Sep 2019 21.41 by Anna (edited Mon 2 Sep 2019 21.42 by Anna)

Hi. I’ve tried all of the above with no joy. I can’t recommend any from the doctors as I gave up many years ago. I’ve had scalp psoriasis for almost 40 years now. I’ve come in here as I do from time to time to see if there’s any new advice for me. I did want to mention that I got a shampoo soap bar from Lush called Soak and Float and that helped more than most. I use Dead Sea salt shampoo on my hair as the bar can leave it a bit dull looking. Good luck.

Posted Wed 11 Sep 2019 11.09 by linacruise1467

Dear all skins are different, so it is better for you to ask from a doc, I have also done this treatment and due to my sensitive skin doc recommend me to use Regenepure hair products, and really its give my hair new life, and there is no side effect too. I suggest you once check on https://www.reecoupons.com/view/regenepure I hope you will get the best for your self.

Posted Mon 7 Oct 2019 22.07 by tom_m

Everyone is different, so this may not work for everyone. However I was prescribed a liquid treatment for my scalp – DiproSalic Scalp Application (0.05% w/w, 2% w/w cutaneous solution – Betamethasone (as dipropionate)/salicylic acid. The prescription says to use it twice a day, however I only use it once a day (and take one day off a week) to try and minimise the amount of active ingredient I'm putting on my skin. Anyway, after a couple of weeks the psoriasis has cleared up along my scalp. Hope everyone has luck in finding the right treatment. I know it's a hard road.

Posted Sat 19 Oct 2019 10.31 by IainF

I wash my hair every morning and alternate between Alphosyl and T-Gel. Sometimes one provides more relief from itching than the other. Both are available over the counter.

Posted Sat 19 Oct 2019 16.49 by Elspeth

hi I was the same - used to use Nizoral then a Lush shampoo then T gel. , all worked for a short time - my GP gave me Capasal but the consultant dermatologist gave me Etrevix - both have worked but Etrivex is stronger

Posted Mon 21 Oct 2019 22.45 by Bellelou84

Hi there, I have been suffering scalp psoriasis for 20 + years. When I was a child a Dr prescribed a coconut oil. It was amazing but then I believe it went out of stock as from then on I was only prescribed smelly shampoos, liquid that stung like hell and stank of alcohol and creams that no girl wants to smother in their hair. I then gave up with the Dr and started to buy coconut oil and Epsom salts. I now bathe with them and smother my head in the coconut oil. I also put the coconut oil in my ears with a cotton bud too. Hope you find something that helps.

Posted Tue 22 Oct 2019 20.11 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I first had plaque psoriasis all over in 1980. Generally my scalp was kept under control with Selsun originally (but I am pretty sure they changed something in the formulation in recent years), and then Polytar and then Alphosyl. My scalp was genrally clear for years until I came out in gutatte psoriasis last year. my head was itching SO much. The best and quickest relief I found for the itching was from a shampoo called Alphacade PSO, made in France but available in UK now: https://www.cocooncenter.co.uk/item-dermatologie-alphacade-shampoo-pso-severe-cases-of-dandruff-200ml/14313.html. It has a pleasant smell and does not seem overly harsh.

To take part, sign in or register with us