alcohol

Posted Fri 21 Feb 2020 23.45 by Lasttime (edited Fri 21 Feb 2020 23.45 by Lasttime)

OhNo_NotAgain? Think your correct Many years ago when on methotrexate i had to stop drinking Came off it but never really had a drink since may be 4 or 5 times in 20 years since Never noticed any improvement

Posted Sun 23 Feb 2020 10.23 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I am in my 60s, had psoriasis since age 22. Drank a lot through my 20s and 30s.Hardly drink at all now. Had periods of regular daily heavy drinking, and periods with no alcohol for 2-5 weeks followed by a 2-3 day binge. I have never seen a correlation between the severity or extent of my psoriasis and my drinking pattern. However, my psoriasis did suddenly appear for the very first time the morning after my 22nd birthday when I woke up after a massive and marathon drinking session to celebrate my birthday. I was at University and in my final year, and my Father had just been diagnosed with cancer - so there were also psychological stresses going on at the same time. However, some people report on here that if they drink little or nothing for a while and then have a heavy night or two - their psoriasis flares up. Some people have reported that it flares up worse or only after certain types of alcohol. I think each person needs to try and see if something works for them.

Posted Sat 28 Mar 2020 18.03 by Jane

Hi Yes I didn't think of this until some one else mentioned it to me to try and see if mine went away, I haven't had any alcohol for 8days now and it seems to be fading in colour so I am going to carry on and see if it disappears all together. I do use a lot of creams has well still at the moment !

Posted Tue 31 Mar 2020 15.21 by Mk

Hi Seano, apologies for delay in reply. I only managed 2 weeks without alcohol and did not notice any change to the severity of my psoriasis however for me I believe the 2 weeks was not long enough to determine the effects. In February I stayed off the wine but again I only lasted just under 2 weeks when I had wine.again. Did you try to stay off it and did you notice any change? MK

Posted Tue 31 Mar 2020 16.17 by JD

you need to alcohol free for about 3 months, do not even touch low alcohol .. When i was recently in Spain i really wanted to go have a couple of beers in a lovely tapas bar . Someone suggested i take anti hist-ermine tablets , and surprisingly my psoriasis was much calmer after the alcohol . I am back on the tee total , life of a monk in order to get this back under control , and i am pleased to report its barely noticeable . Repeat this treatment . No stress purge yourself everyday of things on your mind with brutal honesty you may need a very close friend that can handle it with no judgement , no alcohol , yoga, fitness walking , no smoking , avoid processed sugar ,blueberries , natural oils for your skin( olive oil) and try the hay fever tablets , i am fairly certain if you do then all properly they will work , i have passed my experience to many sufferers advice like this and they have all seen big improvements . And at the very least you will be fitter , slimmer , and happier , and less stressed .

Posted Tue 31 Mar 2020 18.26 by Jane

Hi Seano I have only been doing it for about 2 weeks so far but I did notice when I use to have a drink I would end up having a bad flare up. I rely on creams, wash's and a mouse at the moment which seems to help me get through the day with out to may problems.

Posted Wed 1 Apr 2020 23.33 by Mike Quigley - 57 from

Hi everyone. Just to add to discussion that Alcohol is a definite trigger .I have drank all my adult life and having been a brewery executive for almost three decades I can say with some certainty that when I slow down or stop drinking alcohol I see a vast improvement in my psoriasis,but in the past i used alcohol to help me sleep and cope with the itching which helped at the time but eventually made my condition worse. It really is wicked cycle which if I'm honest still have not totally controlled. Keep safe everyone at this difficult time over coronavirus .

Posted Fri 17 Apr 2020 08.58 by CBMan

It has been said earlier in this thread, but it is worth saying again - there is no panacea. Both in terms of triggers and cures, what helps/hurts for one person may have no impact for another. My solution was to keep a food diary noting everything that I ate or drank and also noting whether my symptoms were better or worse. Then by selectively removing things from my diet over a period of many months I was able to work out what were triggers for me. The main ones turned out to be: Alcohol Dairy (particularly milk and yoghurt) Citrus Fruits (particularly grapefruit) Even with none of these things in my diet anymore I still have significant psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, but I believe controlling my diet helps.

Posted Fri 17 Apr 2020 12.43 by JD

some great tips on this and i shall add some of your suggestions to my holistic routine , of which the list is growing . Seems that as psoriasis sufferers our skin becomes external sign and symptom of the deeper problems that lie with in the human body and mind , and for that i am grateful in the same way i am grateful for pain since the absence of pain would cause more problems .. So now i have no alcohol, no smoking, fresh vegetables , watch intake of citrus fruits , be fit be healthy and remove yourself as much as possible from stressful situations , and engage in mindful practise , such as yoga and meditation , use natural oils on skin such as vegetable or grape seed or olive , some time anti hist ermines work a little sunshine and Epsom salts in the bath and definitely eat blueberries , have good sleep hygiene, and keep mind healthy and positive.. i have been doing all of those lately and after 30 years of psoriasis its almost gone.. good luck love to hear your stories. ps . If you try to short cut it , your mind and body will know and that its self causes inner stress.

Posted Fri 17 Apr 2020 13.04 by Jane

Hi Jd So please that you seem to have got on top of you Psoriasis & found some thing that works for you, it is all about try stuff and getting a routine together that works for you has we are all different and know to people will be the same with this skin problem, Like your self my Psoriasis if almost completely gone buying a couple of spot about the size of a 5p coin, with what is going on in the world today you would have thought our skin would have got worse not better. One other product i have started to use when i can get hold of it is Johnson baby oil with Aloe Vera which i put in the bath (can be hard to get). Stay safe every one!

Posted Fri 17 Apr 2020 13.23 by JD

Thank and for the moment everybody is in a similar boat which in some ways is a bit of a leveller ,I work as a financial adviser which has its challenges since the market has fallen by nearly 30 per cent , but again with every disaster comes new opportunity and certainly if we ever get back to life as we previously knew it , then this would have been a good period of reflection and re evaluation and time to remove unnecessary distractions. I will try the john sons baby oil with aloe Vera , put that into the mix, thank you once again for the nice suggestion

Posted Fri 17 Apr 2020 13.38 by Jane

You are welcome JD if i can help make some one feel has i so call it normal in their own skin it is a plus for me, has i have only just recently myself found this site and it is nice to talk to people with the same problem with in one way help you feel that you are not on you own. I am lucky has my Doctor has this problem so when i go to see him i know he under stands what i am going through which also help has i have have other Doctors that have not been help full at all and have told me that i needed to give up my Job (I own my own swim teaching school). If i am in the water to many hours it will start my skin to flare up! If you go onto the general chat section you will be able to get other idea's from other people who have posted what has worked for them. Good luck !

Posted Fri 17 Apr 2020 14.59 by JD

love swimming i have done some iron man competitions keep up the good work , that is a great type of exercise especially open water or in the lovely sea

To take part, sign in or register with us