Hospitalisation

Posted Thu 31 Oct 2019 10.24 by Blurredgirl

Hi there, new to the forum but not to PA. I'm in France and my rheumatologist has asked me to come into hospital for a day to evaluate my psoriatic arthritis, including looking at my heart function. Has anyone else done this, and can give me an idea of what to expect? Thanks

Posted Thu 31 Oct 2019 21.46 by wendyloish

Hi Blurredgirl, There are a number of associated chronic inflammatory problems that may be associated with psoriatic arthritis. They include heart and blood pressure problems, thyroid dysfunction, tinnitus and gut issues like irritable bowel and gastric reflux. Identifying these things before they become too symptomatic would undoubtedly be helpful. I think you are luck to have a doctor willing enough to do an evaluation. It may save you a lot of problems in the future. What too expect? Well there might be swelling of the heart, which can be taken as a symptom of heart disease. But if my brother and I are anything to go by (and this is after numerous heart stress tests and ultrasounds) it does not mean that your have a real heart problem. My brother says they tell him he will live to be 100 - he is currently 76. I am on beta blockers as this regulates my heart beat, but my ultrasounds are always good. I am about to turn 73. So do not be too worried, My enlarged heart was identified by X-ray about 20 years ago and I am still here today! I hope this puts your mind at ease. wendyloish

Posted Fri 1 Nov 2019 06.41 by Blurredgirl

Hi, yes thanks that helps. It turns out that indeed I am very lucky. My hospital is one of very few that offer this evaluation of an individual’s disease in the form of a day stay. I am really pleased to have this chance. I will report back!

Posted Fri 1 Nov 2019 11.25 by Mac

Hi Blurredgirl. It's probably nothing too worry about, I have mine checked out ever year an half, or there abouts. Thankfully I have nothing wrong with my heart, but do suffer badly with inflammation in the ribs, and up into the chest abit, not every often in the chest thankfully. So I think that's why they check the heart I suppose. In typing that it's just dawned on me, I don't think I ever asked the reason behind it. I'm one of them people that think sometimes the less you know the better. All is clear at the end of it and that's the main thing. Good luck with your test.

Posted Fri 1 Nov 2019 11.55 by Blurredgirl

I'm certainly not worried, just curious. This is not just an ECG, but a whole day in hospital getting what the French call a bilan done of my disease. I've discovered that it is a new initiative and should help both me and the doctors.

Posted Fri 1 Nov 2019 13.07 by Mac

Well there you go then, you'll be getting it all done in one day. As you said earlier, your every lucky. Good luck.

To take part, sign in or register with us