Methotrexate Help!

Posted Tue 10 Dec 2019 10.30 by Msargent

Hi everyone, I've been on methotrexate for about 3/4 months now for psoriasis of the nail and I'm not feeling great, I have a doctors appointment next week and a dermatology check up in a month, the first since I've been on the tablets, so I'm just looking for some advice. I'm sick, a lot. I have a history of anxiety and depression and I have noticed that I've been worse since being on the tablets.. has anyone else noticed this? I'm not sure if my vomiting is from the tablets, my anxiety or a mixture of both, it's not just the day after taking my tablets either, it's got to the point where I'm not keeping any food down. I'm currently still working full time, and I commute 2 and a half hours to work and the same home again, so the suggestion has been made that it isn't helping either. Any advice, or anything would really help... Even if it's just acknowledgement others are going through the same.

Posted Tue 10 Dec 2019 10.43 by Becki

Hi Masargent, The first time I was on methotrexate (tablet form) I was the exact same, sick & tired all the time and lost a lot of weight because of it. I am now back on metho but self injection form and this is so much better! No symptoms at all. Apparently its because it bypasses the gut. I have IBS & anxiety so have a bad enough belly as it is. Definitely recommend injections! :)

Posted Tue 10 Dec 2019 11.06 by Msargent

Hi Becki, That's such a relief, I lost 4 pounds just this week. Can't keep anything down, I've spoken to work and have had to consider going off sick, which I'm hoping may help. I'll speak to my dermatologist at the end of the month and see if they suggest it. Thank you.

Posted Mon 16 Dec 2019 19.43 by Rairai18

Hoping I’m not too late to offer imsight advice here. One of the biggest side affects of methotrexate is nausea and sickness. I’ve been on methotrexate 3 times (twice in pill form and once on injections) and suffered from severe nausea all three times. By the third time I was suffering from anxiety of taking the medication and feeling sick before taking it, so had to come off it as the stress was making my psoriasis worse. It’s a very powerful drug with wonderful results for psoriasis but the sickness is difficult to say the least.

To take part, sign in or register with us