Psoriasis and depression

Posted Tue 17 Dec 2019 21.37 by Mango

Hi guys, I am new to this association and forum, glad I found it as I have been a psoriasis sufferer for more than 10 years now, I am currently 24 my psoriasis has been hitty missy for last few years however after the birth of my first child my psoriasis has been off the roof and has been terrible for over a year now, doctors haven't been the best help so far, What I want to talk about is how much psoriasis affects mental health, I am just so down and depression all the time, I think people forget that even though it's not life threating, psoriasis has detrimental affects on mental health. Is anyone else suffering more mentally then even physically at the moment due to their condition? Thank you

Posted Fri 20 Dec 2019 19.54 by Jay

I’m suffering from depression too because this condition has taken over my life. I can’t play golf anymore because of the jacks on my feet and hands. I’ve put on weight because I’m not exercising anymore and I have now interest in going out or putting makeup on. By the time I go through my regime in the morning with the feet and the hands it’s almost noon, so I stay at home in my pjs. It’s had an adverse effect on my marriage as I feel ugly and I’m always angry.

Posted Fri 20 Dec 2019 23.56 by Mango

So sorry to hear, I am in same position in terms of marriage, I don't like to be touched, I barely look after myself and therefore my intimate life takes a back seat. I really hope we both are able to overcome our disease and find strength to live in harmony with it

Posted Fri 27 Dec 2019 04.33 by MIchael V

Yeh I've had depression over the years from when I was about 11. Close to breakdown on several occassions, and one definite period. Don't dispare it just takes strategies that you put in place. To start with, if you read my article 'wonder treatment'. it does work. Also you have to learn to laugh: think of a funny incident, joke anything like that. Signing is good for you. Walking, talking, running is brill if you can, and most people can. Also, you must be kind to yourself. Our daughter died 15 years ago, she was 25. And it's easy to comfort eat, and as you know white sugar is bad for you. And you tend to punish yourself. Like I scratch psoriasis patches, and it's like self harming. One other thing is you can ask someone to pray for you to be healed.. I have had a bad 3 years now, but I asked God if he could sort it. Well it wasn't long before I spotted the book on a shelf in a charity shop, I could have easily missed seeing it. This was one of the factors; another was meeting (on a walk, with a local group) my old GP, who had once given me a man to man pep talk when I was very low. I am sure that people are praying for me and I shall pray for you guys. So to finish off; there is one very important thing; positivity. If you think about us, we are survivors many have failed to reach our age (your age). So we are the fittest, we are the elite of our age. So take courage, and believe in the impossible. It has taken me 55 years to get where I am, and it's an achievement. Oh one last thing, writing can help depression, that's why my philosophy is 'why use a handful of words when you can use hundreds'. So you can see from my essay that I'm not cured yet. Remember that you are not alone!

To take part, sign in or register with us