14 year old with aggressive psoriasis

Posted Thu 26 Dec 2019 20.59 by GP8

My 14 year old brother recently had a biopsy for a diagnosis on his condition. We have a date booked with the NHS for 23rd Jan 2020, but his ‘presumed’ psoriasis has gone out of control over the past 2 weeks, it’s very aggressive and getting worse every day. He has it on his face, back and torso, legs and scalp. We’ve been waiting on the NHS for 6 months now, everything has been drawn out and now we find ourself in an awful situation. He cannot stop itching, he’s stressing and crying most days now because it has spread so quickly. He hasn’t even been able to enjoy Xmas. Is there anything we can do before his appointment and possible prescription on the 23rd? Its almost a month away and I fear his whole body will be absolutely covered. I’ve read a few things online about aggressive psoriasis being hospitalised and being life threatening. This is really worrying and I’m really desperate. Thank you.

Posted Sat 28 Dec 2019 14.45 by Dmort

Hi I’m so sorry to hear about you brother. My psoriasis appeared also when I was fourteen. Has he tried antihistamines at all? I find they do help with the itch. I use cetirizine tablets which can be taken once daily. Ocassionally piriton instead, as this can be taken a few times daily. Might be worth asking pharmacist about your brother using these. I hope things improve for your brother, it’s an awful thing especially for a young person to be going through.

Posted Sat 28 Dec 2019 15.20 by GP8

Thanks for your response. I shall look into that. It was slowing spearing more and more on his body over the last few months, but it become REALLY aggressive the past 2-3 weeks and now he is covered. We’re currently trimming back on what he is consuming as he eats like a regular 14 yr old, which is loads of crisps, chocolate, fizzy drinks etc. so we’re cutting all of that junk out, including dairy and as much gluten possible until he sees they dermatologist in a months time.

Posted Sun 29 Dec 2019 09.14 by Dmort

Hi Here’s hoping cutting out some of these food will help, diet seems to play a part in psoriasis for some people.

Posted Sun 29 Dec 2019 14.15 by Davieg74

Hi there Sorry to hear anyone at a young age with psoriasis . I also got mine at a young age (13) after having chicken pox for the 3rd time this was the trigger for my psoriasis, I am now 45 and for me personally wish I had never used steroid creams for me they just made matters worse. Sunshine for me is the key although this doesn’t work for everyone but makes my life bearable . I hope your brother gets the help he needs There are huge diet changes that also help

Posted Sun 29 Dec 2019 17.52 by GP8

Thanks for the response and advice guys. It’s been a help and we’re staying positive going forward with this. It was such a shock and will change our lives forever but we will fight to keep this horrible disease at bay. Much love all.

1 Posted Sat 4 Jan 2020 10.34 by raja123

diet is key , please read psoriais book by john pagano . It works

Posted Sat 4 Jan 2020 10.51 by GP8

Thanks Raja, that happens to be the same book in my Amazon wish list. I will definitely be purchasing.

To take part, sign in or register with us