How to use Dovobet

Posted Mon 30 Dec 2019 09.16 by Kentish27

Hi all, I wonder if someone could answer my question regarding the use of Dovobet. I have plaque psoriasis, and I am into the second week of using Dovobet. I can see how to use it on the larger area's of psoriasis, then I can spread the treatment with a finger so that I get a thin even layer, that's fine, and it seems to be working as one or two of these area have started to look much less red, and has stopped itching. But I also have area's, particularly on my arms, where I just have a mass of red spots, which are itching like the devil. Should I put a dab of Dovobet on every spot, because it's not easy to stop getting the treatment onto healthy skin? Can anyone help me with this please?

Posted Mon 6 Jan 2020 05.55 by Kate

Good morning .I'm new to the forum. I understand what you mean about spreading dovobet on healthy skin. I have the same problem. My dermato prescribed dovonex twice daily and dovobet at night. It seems to be working. Best to ask your pharmacist about use. Its inevitable to avoid healthy skin. BTW mine is guttate. Have you tried gel from aloe Vera plant? Have a good day

Posted Mon 6 Jan 2020 16.54 by Kentish27

Hi Kate, and thank you for that reply, I shall look into the dovonex treatment, and I have just purchased some Aloe Vera gel which I shall also try, many thanks again Kentish

Posted Mon 6 Jan 2020 20.39 by Kate

Hi Kentish. If you can buy an aloe vera plant and use the gel from the leaf it will be better than the tube one. Just make sure you cut the prickly sides as it may cause itchiness. I don't know where you live, normally they grow in the garden but in a cold country on the kitchen window. Good luck

Posted Mon 6 Jan 2020 21.52 by Kentish27

Hi again Kate - I live in Wales, My wife is a very keen gardener, as soon as I mentioned the idea of a Aloa Vera plant she knew exactly what would be needed, we have a suitable indoor space, which would provide the correct temperature range she says, and she has indoor plants that already need to be watered at a similar rate to what the Aloa Vera plant would need, so it on our list when next out shopping, we think Dobbies should have them. Many thanks again, We shall beat this itch business yet. Kentish

Posted Mon 6 Jan 2020 22.01 by Kentish27

Oh, and Kate, I forgot to say that I have also started to use an antihistamine suggested by another sufferer Dmort - Kentish

Posted Mon 6 Jan 2020 22.42 by Kate

That's great. A few weeks ago i was amazed to see both soles of my feet peeling. I applied the gel and the next day they had healed. After you've used some of the aloe leaf, the rest you can wrap in cling film in the fridge. Mine is definitely caused by leaky gut. My gp prescribed omeprazole for my acidic stomach and I noticed my skin and scalp were clearing. I couldn't understand. I googled omeprazole and Psoriasis and founf out in US they treated a patient's P with omeprazole. In my case as soon as I stopped it the rash came back with a vengeance. I'm also allergic to hazelnuts, so needless to say over Xmas I was indulging in chocs and itched all night Same when I eat shellfish. BTW I live in London.

Posted Tue 7 Jan 2020 06.29 by Kentish27

Hi Kate - Wow, we do seem to have some problems with this condition. Mine has only been with me since about 2 weeks before Christmas, but I feel so very grateful for the chance to exchange information through this site. I feel very grateful to the organisers, without whom it would not exist. I telephoned to organise my annual membership and the lady who spoke to me on the telephone was very helpful and spent a lot of time explaining a great deal to me. I find it's the night time that is the worst, the itch will wake me two or three times during the night. Luckily I am retired but I feel for those that have to get up and go to work, Kentish

Posted Tue 7 Jan 2020 06.44 by Kate

Hi Kentish. Yours is quite recent. I'm retired too and mine started after the birth of my youngest son who is now 40. I used to itch until it bled when I got home from work. This i put down to stress. It is dreadful when you have to go to work with P. Oh well never mind, at least it's not cancer. Recently I noticed my nails being affected which I cured by dipping it in apple cider vinegar. I've had a few courses of uvb and one of uva over the years which helped for a while. I wish they did more research on P. It is definitely related to what we eat. All the best. Kate

Posted Fri 17 Jan 2020 13.31 by Paul

I was prescribe Dovonex & then Dovobet which I have been on for probably 15+ years. From what I understand you should only use Dovobet for a few months or so, but my doctor for whatever reason signs off my prescriptions quite happily. Maybe Ive been fortunate, but I have had no side effects I am aware of. when P was at is worst I would use the Dovobet quite liberally all over my body, arms and legs. I have since invested in a UVB canopy and for the first time in 30 years I am just about clear. I still collect my Dovobet prescriptions at the moment, but I am hopeful that I wont need it again. Fingers crossed. Paul

Posted Fri 17 Jan 2020 15.42 by Kentish27

Thank you Paul - your message has put my mind at rest regarding the Dovobet being spread on to healthy skin, it's just not possible to avoid it when trying to dab on small red spots. I do understand that I should only use it for about 6 to 8 weeks though, It has worked well on my plaque psoriasis, just must get this Gutatte sorted now and then hopefully get back to some sort of normal life. Thank again. Kentish

To take part, sign in or register with us