My psoruasis looks different than anything I've see

Posted Mon 30 Dec 2019 17.27 by ann

I never had psoriasis before. A few months ago I was re-potting plants in the yard & got a small rash on my hand which quickly spread to the other hand & then my scalp. My hands cleared up but my scalp became covered in some type of debris; furthermore, my hair which was long & thick started falling out in huge amounts when I brushed it. I saw a doctor who insisted I had "adult dandruff," & suggested I use T-Gel shampoo 2x per day. I agreed to wash it once a day but couldn't do so. It burned so bad & so much hair would come out that I could only wash it once a week. With very little hair left, I saw a dermatologist. She said I had psoriasis & prescribed a liquid for my scalp & ointment for my skin. My scalp continues to get worse & I started using apple cider vinegar which seems to help. Now I'm getting large perfectly round red circles that grow to the size of a quarter up & down my legs. The dermatologist has no openings until February. I've read so much online information & I'm still not sure if its even psoriasis. The circles continue to increase in number & I can't imagine what my condition will be like by Feb. I would be so very appreciative of any information you can provide me. I'm 66. Please help me. Thank you. Ann

Posted Wed 15 Jan 2020 22.12 by edd515

hi Ann so I'm 25 years old and was diagnosed with psoriasis when I was in my early twenties. initially I had the same issue in that I wasn't even sure if It was psoriasis, I avoided medical advice for quite some time as I was embarrassed about the condition and just hoped it would go away... however over time it only got worse. I eventually went to my local GP where she in fact gave me the same diagnosis as you, of adult dandruff. after using T-gel for about a month I realised it only got worse. I went back to the doctor and they confirmed it was in fact scalp psoriasis, I was then placed on steroid creams to help combat it. However this only worked for a short time before losing its effect on my skin. My scalp psoriasis got so bad that I had lumps on my head the size of golf balls. If it helps, for the last 3 years I've been using basic head and shoulders and tried to avoid washing my hair too regularly in order to avoid drying out my skin. Now my scalp is almost completely free of psoriasis, although I will say that with most treatments for psoriasis its not as simple as just getting one medication and it being sorted out, most of the time its an issue of finding the right combination of medication that works for your condition. This, unfortunately, is usually a case of trial and error. but I hope in the mean time the use of head and shoulders can give you at least some relief of the psoriasis on your scalp. good luck!

Posted Sun 19 Jan 2020 12.53 by WorcSauce (edited Sun 19 Jan 2020 12.55 by WorcSauce)

Hi Ann, I am nearly 63 and I too have had scalp psoriasis and some on my back and the side of my legs for about 4 years. Just before Christmas I started to get perfectly round red spots appear up and down my legs, arms and now the whole of my back, chest and stomach. Everyday there are more and more red spots appearing, today they have moved up to my neck. My hospital appointment is in February 2020. I feel so depressed but the doctor says there is nothing he can do, I just need to wait until February! ☹️

To take part, sign in or register with us