IM Steroid injection for diagnosis

Posted Mon 27 Jan 2020 19.47 by Birdflown

Hi I am new to the forum. I have a 20 year history of psoriasis. Over the past year I have developed joint pain and hot red swelling in multiple areas. My fingers and knee are the worst. Gp began investigations and started me on meloxicam and made referral to rheumatologist. Have been seeing rheum for a few months now with a working diagnosis of psa. Consultant says history is good indicator that it is psa and has seen photos of swollen joints and letters from gp. However when I have been at the clinic I’m not flaring. He recently decided to give me a IM steroid injection. He said if this helps with pain and stiffness he will diagnose psa and start methotrexate. It has indeed helped the stiffness and pain greatly and I am now awaiting my next meeting with him. Is this common procedure for diagnosis when things might not be so clear? Any input or experience would be most appreciated. Thank you 😊

Posted Sat 1 Feb 2020 13.18 by Mac

Hi Birdflown. Yep the steroid injections are good, though I do think sometimes they are trying too phase them out (just my opinion). As for getting diagnosed with PsA or I suppose anything, people are going too have different experience's. Not having swelling or a flare up when attending the consultant seems common if you read most of the threads here. I was a builder and waited till things where at a very bad stage (not recommended) before I went too my GP. And it was him that diagnosed PsA, and my consultant just confirmed what my GP had told me, and started my treatment for PsA. So pretty quick for diagnosis me. As you can see two different people with two different experiences, though my route was the wrong one. I should have been seeking help much sooner. Hope all goes well and you get sorted soon.

To take part, sign in or register with us