My treatment experience - warning !!!

Posted Wed 19 Feb 2020 20.16 by Kevlar97

I have suffered with psoriasis for many years and have gone through the normal channels of creams, u/v, methotrexate and eventually 5 years ago went onto Humira. Within a month of starting this treatment my psoriasis had virtually cleared with just a couple of small stubborn patches remaining. I carried on the treatment and religiously gave regular blood tests which always came back as clear. Life was good until April last year when I had unexplained weight loss, lack of appetite and severe pains in my right leg. After some faffing round with GP appointments I was eventually sent for a scan. This revealed that I had a large mass in my pelvis and I was diagnosed with Non Hodgkin Lymphoma. Both my Oncology and Dermatology consultants confirmed that although they cannot say it was the cause, long term use of Humira was no doubt a major contributory factor in my cancer. I then underwent 8 months of chemotherapy and radiotherapy and I’m pleased to report that last month I got the all clear with no further trace of cancer, a huge relief. I’m not bitter about this, as Humira gave me 5 yrs of wearing shorts and t- shirts and being free of psoriasis but would I risk it again? Probably not. (Chemotherapy is a fantastic treatment for psoriasis as it cleared it completely although I wouldn’t recommend it !!!) The dreaded patches are now back with a vengeance and both myself and consultants are keen not to return to biological treatments. I’ve just started a course of Acetretin so fingers crossed that I start to see an improvement soon.

To take part, sign in or register with us