A dietary solution worked for me

Posted Fri 22 Apr 2022 05.44 by Mary1968

Hello All I have not read the book by Hannah Sillitoe - but I have certainly heard wonderful things about her I liked Dr John Paganos book - but it is very very very very strict. Not good for people like me with an addictive personality - but brilliant if you have the discipline I cleared with diet. A combination of Jason Vale Clear Skin Program for general guidance, and then my own ideas (much trial & error) to manage it within my own life Had bad psoriasis for 40 odd years, and now been clear for over 10 years From my own experiences, you need to be flexible and use your intuition, rather than following blindly one doctrine without question. And I say that because, when I first read John Paganos book, I could understand what he was saying, but I also knew there was no way on earth I could stick to it. So I simply borrowed some of his ideas, plus ideas from other writers, plus experimented myself and used my own ideas - the combination cleared me.

Posted Fri 22 Apr 2022 05.49 by Mary1968

Csarbs - Dandelion Root Tea (taken black and sugar free) helps the liver, and is a good alternative to coffee if you want to be caffeine-free

Posted Fri 29 Apr 2022 13.28 by Scotus0 - 29 from Salford
Seeking advice/tips for overcoming Guttate | Pso blog: GetLostGuttate

Having heard bits about Hanna Sillitoe and watching her pitch on Dragons' Den, I am now 2 days into the 28 day Skin Plan in her Radiant book. This 3 day juice cleanse isn't fun, but hearing people here getting good results (as well as seeing the 'before' and 'after' pictures in the book) gives me hope!

Posted Fri 29 Apr 2022 16.47 by MrsP

Scotuso... Best of luck. I didn't do the juice cleanse element, just went straight onto the revised diet. That was three years ago now, still stick to it most of the time, wouldn't go back. Totally works for me. All the best! Taking the first step is the hardest.

Posted Fri 29 Apr 2022 17.17 by Sarbie

Hi MrsP, I have been following Hanna's diet for the last 7 weeks although I didn't do the 3 days juice cleanse either. Can I ask how long before you saw positive results and did you have a flare up at the beginning of the diet? Thanks.

Posted Fri 29 Apr 2022 20.09 by MrsP

Hi Csarbs. Two weeks in my skin was worse, four weeks in very minor improvement, six weeks in redness started to fade and patches were less dry. I used to put coconut oil on my skin every evening too. Week ten, vast improvement. Week 12 almost gone. I took Holland & Barrett Acidophilus tablets daily and a Selenium supplement as recommended in the book. Really hope it works for you too.

Posted Fri 29 Apr 2022 20.41 by Sarbie

Hi MrsP, thank you, your comments have been really helpful and reassuring! I am taking Hanna's probiotic drink every morning and various supplements. My dermatologist gave me Enstilar foam but I only use a tiny amount in the morning. Its early days but I am feeling positive.

Posted Sat 30 Apr 2022 01.13 by Mary1968

Scotus0 Chin up, the first 3 - 5 days of any cleanse are the worst. Last year I did an 18 day juice cleanse, for the fun of it - loved it (apart from the first 3 days)

Posted Wed 15 Mar 2023 06.08 by Yazziwazzi

Hi to everyone that has posted so far! Have any of you also got psoriatic arthritis? Would this diet also help psoriatic arthritis or only psoriasis? Have you all still found that the diet has continued to work for you? I'd be so grateful to hear back from as many of you as possible! I'm being practically forced by my doctors to go down the medicine route! Please help Thanks

Posted Wed 15 Mar 2023 12.28 by MrsP

Hi Yazziwazzie, I have not been diagnosed with P arthritis but I do get occasional pain in my thumb joint which may be related. Arthritis associated with psoriasis seems to be link to the immune system function, like the skin condition itself. The diet I follow is anti inflammatory so logic would suggest it probably helps arthritis too but I've not personally got before and after experience to drawn on. I altered my diet around 4 years ago now and it's still working for me, so much so that I can be less strict in moderation (such as eating out, occasional meat free takeaways, cake at parties etc) and no flare. I really would recommend dietary adjustment, and taking a gut supporting probiotic. I work in healthcare (non clinical management) and work alongside doctors every day. Understandably their practice is evidence based. Research is usually funded by pharmaceutical companies so there is little published in relation to diet which is why many doctors are still closed off to that line of 'treatment.' They are often stunned at my work are stunned if I tell them my story. Why would a big pharma want to research whether diet works? If it is proved it will lose them huge sums. From memory, Hanna Sillitoe's website has a blog section, and I seem to recall there are links to some published papers within her articles on there. Good luck on your journey to clear skin.

Posted Fri 17 Mar 2023 21.15 by Mary1968

Hello Yazziwazzi An anti-inflammatory diet will certainly help with pain management, and help you remain more flexible. Unlikely to cure you, but very likely to help you manage stiffness and pain. Fish oil is a big MUST too I take fish oil for both keeping P at bay, and reducing body pain. Dandelion root is very beneficial for reducing arthritis pain. You can make an oil and use that warmed, or better still take it as a strong tea or supplement. I have now purchased and read the Hanna Sillitoe book Radiant and feel she may have copied me!!!!! :) Literally almost word-for-word her plan is almost the same plan I cleared on in 2008. So if you have not got that book, it is worth reading.

To take part, sign in or register with us