psoriasis treatments

Posted Wed 15 Apr 2020 13.49 by allen

Hi All I am new to this forum hope you are all staying safe. The past three years have not been kind to myself and my family 2018 diagnosed with lymphoma, five cycles of chemo to kill the cancer then three months of hypothyroidism till the correct treatment was advised. 2019 admitted to hospital with chest pains pulmonary embolism ( blood clots in my lungs ) double pneumonia while in hospital. After three different blood thinners i am now on warfarin. Are there any treatments out there that are not steroid base or work well with warfarin in the current climate i am unable to get an appointment with dermatology all suggestions will be warmly welcomed. allen.

Posted Fri 17 Apr 2020 13.23 by Jane

Hi All If you go onto the General chat section you will fine lost of helpful thing other people have tried, it is all about trying stuff i have found combinations of cream's, to stuff you put in the bath, skin mouses and also what you eat and drink has well. Jane

Posted Fri 17 Apr 2020 13.41 by allen

Thanks Jane.

Posted Mon 20 Apr 2020 17.05 by Rock & Roll Phil

Hi, I'm new to this forum, i find it hard to use the internet but would like some advice please. I am nearly 80 years old and i suffer with bad psororisis all over my body for years, which is getting worse it drives me mad especially at night. I don't want to visit the hospital in the current climate although the UV treatment helped me before. Any help much apppreciated. Many thanks Phil

Posted Thu 23 Apr 2020 00.44 by Kim

Hi all. I am new to this. I've not been diagnosed with psoriasis but it all started 5 months ago on my scalp then my entire back and now everywhere else sporadically. I went to my GP surgery 6 times and saw 3 different doctors (1st one said it looked like eczema, the 2nd thought it was an allergy and the 3rd thought it was a fungal infection). With no definite answer they prescribed me steriod cream/tablets, emollient and antihistamines, which didn't really work. I requested to be referred to a dermatologist (appt late Sept 2020). In the meantime, I've tried Chinese herbs, the doctor took one look and said it was a type of psoriasis. Since then I have done a lot of research which seems to fit the description of psoriasis, more so the guttate type. Not sure if the herbs really work, however I persevered but since then I am on a strict diet, cutting out any food/drink that will cause it to flare up, Read about UVB photography and purchased a handheld one online, taking vitamin D, using dead sea salt, Exorex lotion and Aveeno almond oil moisturiser. It has been difficult, mainly the itchiness. I am learning to manage it and I am glad I found this association/forum as not many people really understand how difficult it can be.

Posted Thu 23 Apr 2020 11.29 by bulgarianman

hi, just been looking at CBD psoriasis cream anyone used this ? Always tempts me to to try new things as the doctors are not really much help .

Posted Thu 23 Apr 2020 16.29 by Kim

Hi Bulgarianman, I haven't tried that cream before but when I asked a pharmacist in Boots what she can suggest, I was recommended Exorex lotion for psoriasis. I am currently using this and so far so good. This brand also comes in a moisturising cream, however I can't buy the moisturising cream anywhere at the moment. By the way, realised an error in my previous message.... it's UVB phototherapy, not UVB photography, but I'm guessing that you guys must have figured :-)

Posted Sun 26 Apr 2020 18.10 by Talia (edited Sun 26 Apr 2020 18.20 by Talia)

Ive just tried typing a big message not sure if its saved. Simple baby oil helps my skin used daily. Once per week on my scalp. Paraben free and as natural as possible shampoos. Im avoiding steroids where possible i think long term they are not effective and damage the skin. However I used Enstillar to clear a melon size path on my stomach. Used for a week and it was gone for four months. Will use when i need clear elbows. But have heard stories about flares. Was given protopic for face. Burns and makes skin flaky after 5 days. I dont recommend this. I use simple hydrocortisone on my face. . I exfoliate face and moisturise. Aveno in the long tube with the blue stripe is good for body. Holland and Barrett vitamin e oil on the face at night is helping Twelve pounds worth it. Diet Im avoiding milk makes my skin much worse red and raised. Almomd milk im finding ok for drinks. Bought a book by Jon Pagano lot of ideas cut fat as liver is overloaded avoid beef and pork and processed meat. White flour and nightshades ie tomatoes peppers potatoes. Trying to heal gut. Taking probiotic fish oil vitamin supplement and cod liver oil. I think it will take months to see a difference. Drinking hot water instead of coffee. Idea is to cleanse the liver avoiding fat is the same principle. Have been told to clear the gut of yeast and candida . Which are linked to skin problems. Apparently psoriatics according to Pagano dont drink enough water. I certainly dont. A number of foods which are not obvious to avoid. White flour white rice etc. Im reading about curing autoimmune disease which I think will help get to the bottom of this rather than just taking steroids. Am making green juice smoothies adding wheatgrass for vitamins. Will eventually add tumeric as its anti inflammatory .

Posted Mon 27 Apr 2020 16.11 by Kim

I'm reading that book too at the moment. I found the part about leaky gut quite interesting as when I first went to the GP, at that point I already felt it had to be dealt from inside. I asked for oral medication and was given steroid tablets, which did not work. I've changed my diet and I'm eating very bland food but rather that than a flare up and I keep a food diary. Must admit, I do fear washing my hair nowadays because of the burning/bitten feeling, so it's useful to know to use baby oil and that it works for you, Talia. Have bought a sulphate free shampoo, seems to be a litter better, but doesn't get rid of the intense itch and flakes.

To take part, sign in or register with us