Shaving vs. electric razer

Posted Mon 1 Jun 2020 11.25 by Bakul

Dear Forumites, I have very bad psoriasis on my face and wet shaving with a multiple bladed razor is absolute agony. It creates flare ups and burns. I need to be very smartly dressed and clean ish shaven for work. I have decided to stop shaving but the beard is even worse! I have heard anecdotally that an electric razor allows one to appear smart and it's not as close as a wet shave, which is what causes me problems. Therefore I was looking for opinion and experiences from people regarding wet razor versus electric. I do no want to waste money on something for it to potentially make things worse. Thanks in advance.

Posted Tue 2 Jun 2020 19.06 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Bakul, I am in my 60s. Over the years I found that certain electric shavers suited my face/beard and gave me a better shave with less irritation than others. For me a foil shaver always gave me a better shave and no irritation on my neck/throat, compared to a rotary head shaver. For a decent shave I always used a wet shave. However, what you MIGHT need is not an electric shaver, but a beard/stubble trimmer. For the past 5 years or so I have used a "babyliss i-stubble". The model I have allows me to set a stubble length and generally I use the minimum of 0.4mm (maximum is 5.0mm). (I have actually had a babyliss trimmer for over 10 years, but the i-stubble is the latest one i have). It has a digital screen to show the length that you have set. It has a plastic comb-guide that slides over the skin and the cutting head is set at the height you have chosen, and never actually touches the skin as it trims the stubble. Have a look on the internet, there are similar devices from other manufacutrers. shop around for prices and any offers, eg Boots, Amazon, the the manufacturers own websites. Good luck.

Posted Thu 4 Jun 2020 17.34 by Bakul

Thank you, I will certainly look into that.

To take part, sign in or register with us