Psoriasis and IBS/Dairy Intolerance

Posted Tue 18 Aug 2020 11.09 by AzureBlue

Hi all. I’m a bit of a newbie in terms of this forum and psoriasis generally. I just wanted to ask a question and see if anyone else has had a similar experience or can offer some guidance. In September last year at the age of 35, I suddenly developed what I’d call IBS symptoms. Not very dignified but really bad flatulence, cramps etc to the point that at times I could barely walk or stand. About 4 weeks later I become covered in many red spots all over my body. The spots seemed to have a mind of their own and spread like wildfire within the space of a few hours. After many drs appointments this has been diagnosed as psoriasis. In April this year I did an elimination diet and cut out milk which does seem to have solved my stomach problems and I think that my psoriasis is better although still present but definitely not as bad as it was. I’ve diagnosed myself with having some sort of milk intolerance. Do you think that the milk intolerance is linked to the psoriasis? It seems too much of a coincidence to me that they both occurred at the same time. I’ve mentioned it to numerous GPs who have dismissed the idea saying that one wouldn’t affect the other. Can anyone offer their thoughts on this please? I’d be grateful for any insights anyone can offer. Thanks

Posted Sat 29 Aug 2020 08.05 by Em

I am 1 week into a dairy free diet. I have psoriasis all over me. It started when I was 18, I am 40 now. I think I can see an improvement already but do not want to get excited yet. So I think it could definitely be a possibility for dairy to be the cause of your problems. Do be aware that Illness can affect your psoriasis as it’s all to do with your immune system. I got a sore throat when I was 22 and about a month later I got a form of psoriasis called guttache which is a rash form that covered my back. Please give a dairy free diet a go as it seems promising for me hopefully it will be for you.

Posted Wed 27 Oct 2021 23.43 by Gtyhinh (edited Wed 27 Oct 2021 23.48 by Gtyhinh)

Lactose intolerance is the easiest thing to confirm. Just get tested. The test is very simple. You blow on a tube and you get results immediatly. I would not say psoriasis is caused by dairy intolerance. Psoriasis comes from a disfunctional immune system. However if you have psoriasis, dairy intolerance might make one feel like the symptoms are "worse", but only because food intolerances cause general inflammation. I have psoriasis since I was 8 and found out about lactose intolerance around 27 years old. Wouldn't say both are related. Get tested on lactose intolerance and also see a dermatologist. Also, any symptoms regarding glúten intolerances? I would say if you have cramps and flatulence, that sounds more like glúten than lactose (lactose intolerance usually gives you diarhea, glúten intolerances usually causes pain/cramps/flatulence/constipation but not diarhea - so I'd check for glúten intolerances). I have both and I would say you should check for glúten intolerances. Good luck and hope you get better!

Posted Sun 23 Jan 2022 03.11 by Mary1968

I am not lactose intolerant. But dairy certainly makes psoriasis flare up for me. Lots of people report their psoriasis seems more itchy after consuming it.

Posted Wed 26 Jan 2022 09.39 by Claire T

Hi All I was diagnosed with scalp psoriasis last May at the age of 52. I am still struggling to get this under control with steroid ointment. I had a period of psoriasis on my arms, shoulders, chest, back and thighs in June/July last year but that responded to steroid cream and has not reoccurred. I have suffered with IBS from my early 20’s. I believe that, for me, these are brought on by stress, however I am going to eliminate first gluten then lactose from my diet and see if there is any improvement. Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

To take part, sign in or register with us