Sterlara biologic

Posted Sat 12 Sep 2020 18.32 by Sizzy
Psoriasis 40 years, most treatments tried over this time, currently on biologics (stelara) as nothing else work.

Hi fellow PS sufferers! I've had chronic scalp and body psoriasis from around age 11. Had all the regular topical, light and tablet treatments over the years until I started Humira about 6 years ago. Fantastic results from Humira although I did have periods of deliberating ectopic heart beats lasting weeks at a time, various minor infections, then I started to get tingling/vibrating sensations in my hands/feet so I had to stop about a year ago. Fast forward 1 year and the psoriasis was back with avengence! Covid delayed new treatment until I started Sterlara in July (skin/scalp was not responding to anything and so sore). I've had my week zero and week 4 injections (at week 8 of treatment now) and have so far had gastroenteritis, an abscess on my body and general minor side effects (headaches, tummy aches, some joint stiffness, nausea etc.). My skin, however, is amazing! Very few small patches remain although my skin is still very dry. My old psoriasis patches are flat and white, my scalp very nearly clear but hair regrowth not yet started. Would love to hear from anyone else on this treatment. X

Posted Sat 12 Sep 2020 21.55 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Hi Sizzy, good to hear your P is clearing. Side effects of any drug are the negative we pay to improve P and a better quality of life. Everyone will differ with the severity of the side effects and how successful the drug is. If you have concerns, I would say contact your Derm team. I have been on Stelera now since last Nov. I was taking Mtx for a number of years with good clearance. To date I have been pleased with Stelara and the clearance it gives. I haven't suffered many side effects but of course have to have regular blood checks. Good luck.

Posted Sun 13 Sep 2020 12.08 by Sizzy
Psoriasis 40 years, most treatments tried over this time, currently on biologics (stelara) as nothing else work.

Hi Steview I'm not really concerned about the general side effects I have had so far but having two infections within 6 weeks, I was just wondering if anyone else had that kind of experience. Not had any bloods yet but have always been stable on other tablets/biologics. How are you coping during the pandemic? I'm still allowed to WFH (I work in London, 2 train journeys) as I have concerns re my current infection rate and travel. I've noticed not many people comment on biologic here, i wonder if that is because of the good skin results render it unnecessary? Take care, S

Posted Sun 13 Sep 2020 16.19 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Hi, I believe biologic treatment is very successful but of course there will be some that it doesn't agree with so try another treatment. As far as I remember the first shot is followed by the second four weeks later then every twelve weeks. Early in the Lockdown period I was anxious due to being immuno supprrssive.. I was expecting to shield but only taking one med didn't fall into that category. I can't work from home so am just careful with distancing. I have been having telephone appts every three months. Good luck

Posted Fri 12 Feb 2021 22.20 by Sizzy

Anyone on Stelara has the Covid Vaccine yet?

To take part, sign in or register with us