Thick toenail = any treatment?

Posted Tue 1 Dec 2020 13.16 by Laila
Got psoriasis when I was 18, psoriatic arthritis in my late 20's. Both have been in remission for about 30 years.

Hi! I'm new to this forum as of today. Both my general psoriasis and the arthritis are in remission and have been for about 20-30 years - although the arthritis visit the small bones in my left hand every two months just to tell me it hasn't completely gone. I have had the ridges on all my nails since I first got psoriasis when I was 18. Now at 67 one of my toenails has really grown thick. It is not fungus. Any treatment to get rid of the thickness? Regards, Laila

Posted Thu 10 Dec 2020 15.03 by dani5953

I file mine down, although I am new to all this(so maybe better options) just been diagnosed with the arthritis and starting treatment but my nails have been like this for roughly 9 months

Posted Sat 12 Dec 2020 10.52 by Happychappy

Hi , I had the same and went to see a podiatrist who drilled the thickness down and its now great. She explained it's the psoriasis that has affected the nail with thickness and pitting. I know it will thicken again, so it's a revisit when neededm

Posted Sat 12 Dec 2020 15.04 by Laila
Got psoriasis when I was 18, psoriatic arthritis in my late 20's. Both have been in remission for about 30 years.

Thank you Happychappy! 🙂 I'm luckily still with the NHS podiatry service as I have neuropathy in my feet after chemo. I'll try calling them on Monday to see if they are open - they were not in June and July when I tried for my diabetic appointment...

Posted Sat 12 Dec 2020 15.06 by Happychappy

Yes get back to them. You will.know about the importance of good foit care being a diabetic. Take care.

To take part, sign in or register with us