Getting better :-)

Posted Fri 1 Jan 2021 13.16 by chiquay
I have had psoraisis for 2 years. I am a 52 year old man. It started with a few odd spots on my scalp and has spread to my body.

Happy New Year folks! Just a wee positive message. I have suffered from severe psoriasis for 7 years or so. I have a UVB sunbed (costs about a grand) and have used it judiciously over the past year. It has an effect, but, I recently changed my diet, and that seems to have had a huge effect. Now, I cannot say what is working or is it a combination. I stopped eating "nightshade" foods - if avoidable. I have been taking vitamin D every day and, I eat 2 heads of broccoli once a week. Now, don't get me wrong - I ain't a freak - but the broccoli is quite tasty if cooked right (trimmed florets cooked for 5-10 mins and then tossed in butter in the pan, after draining) . I am trying to avoid "junk" food, but life is worth living. I still enjoy a wee roll-up and love my whisky. Point is - the psoriasis is starting to clear, much to my amazement. Oh, I have a good shot of blueberry yoghurt first thing and drink lots of water. I also drink lots of whisky :-) Hope this may give people encouragement. My skin is getting better... Happy to chat with any peeps.

Posted Fri 1 Jan 2021 13.50 by SharonG

@chiquay That is so good to hear :) A happy outcome - it is all trial and error - finding something that works for you is fantastic - long may it continue. - Happy Days :) So pleased for you :) Happy New Year.

Posted Fri 1 Jan 2021 22.24 by chiquay
I have had psoraisis for 2 years. I am a 52 year old man. It started with a few odd spots on my scalp and has spread to my body.

Thanks Sharon. Very slow process, but there is definite improvement (truly). The UVB lamps help. Sunshine is a huge help (in short supply on the Isle of Lewis), so perhaps the vitamin D is making a difference. Ask your doctor for some - it is very cheap and freely available in Scotland. As for the broccoli? Well, as Steve Jobs (founder of Apple, RIP) said, "Eat food like it is medicine - or you will be eating medicine like it is food." But - the UVB works. I went to Madagascar a few years ago, teaching English. I was there in a place called Fort Dauphin, beside the beach and the sea. After getting over my discomfort (embarrassment)of taking off my clothes and going swimming and exposing myself to sunlight, the psoriasis cleared up in just 2 weeks. I was there for 3 months. I returned to Scotland it the psoriasis came back in two weeks. That is when I vowed to buy a sunbed. Not cheap for the correct lamps, but phototherapy works. Thanks for the response - I know how difficult it is. My scalp is improving too. Oh, and happy New Year. Hope I can get into a public swimming pool soon - I live by the sea - but it is such a parlaver to get in and out of a wetsuit!!! And broccoli is quite nice. And so is whisky... Bliadhna Mhath Ùr Dhut (Gaelic) .

Posted Sat 2 Jan 2021 08.50 by SharonG

@chiquay Aww I so feel for you but please remember this - your 'P' is NOT your fault so do not 'hide' your body - other peoples opinions do NOT matter - I know that isn't easy but it is THEIR problem not yours. We cannot make it go away and it is nothing to be ashamed of - if getting into a swimsuit in the sun helps then just go with it - let them stare!! They are just ignorant! Keep going with what works for you :) I shall try the broccoli - I have ordered some super strength Vitamin D too - Blueberries still seem to be working for me but only time will tell, We control it as best we can and until people have it it they do NOT understand it! Good Luck - please pop back to let us know how you are going on. :) Folk on here do NOT judge ;)

Posted Sat 2 Jan 2021 16.08 by chiquay

Thanks Sharon. I shall reply in a month. Difficult to maintain the good diet at this time of the year :-) .

Posted Sat 2 Jan 2021 16.18 by chiquay

Oh, can't recall if I posted this, but this is how I do the broccoli . Trim the florets and boil in salted water. Cook to your taste, but I like them fairly crunchy (not overcooked). Drain and add a decent knob of butter and swirl the pan until melted - then eat. Nothing else, it is a meal in itself and quite tasty. Bon appetite! John-Angus

Posted Sat 2 Jan 2021 16.46 by SharonG

@chiquay Thanks John - I will try this - I love Broccoli I normally lightly steam it - drop it into cold water to keep it's colour then cover with hot cheese sauce :) Perhaps I need to leave the sauce off lol I will try this ;)

To take part, sign in or register with us