Scalp

Posted Sat 9 Jan 2021 07.37 by scarletsmummy

I have had Psoriasis for over 30 years and i use Cocois cream on my scalp which is very greasy but it does lift the scales. After a disastrous few months on Acitretin I am now resigned to the fact although not now as severe i will have Psoriasis till the end of time ,I am however open to any help for my scalp I do not want to have to use this Cocois cream everyday as its so messy and leaves me with the " washing it every day " problem What do any of you use to ease your scalp

Posted Sun 10 Jan 2021 14.27 by Skittles

Hello I’ve had it on my scalp for over 20 years and after many efforts the only product that would clear it was Dermovate, a non greasy water like application. After a year or so I was moved on to Betacap, the same stuff but less powerful, Dermovate will apparently redden the face if used for a lengthy period. I use betacap 3 or 4 times a week and it stays away. Both come in 100 ml and prescription only. Also try Nizoral shampoo with the above, recommended by my dermatologist and works wonders to help keep the horrors away, this is available from decent sized supermarket and chemists. I cannot recommend the above products highly enough. Hope this helps x

Posted Sun 10 Jan 2021 14.53 by scarletsmummy

Thank you for your reply , i am at present using Betnovate Liquid which the was prescibed, I have used Dermovate before and may ask my Doctor for that again and give it a try againx

Posted Fri 15 Jan 2021 06.05 by Mario64

Hopefully more people will chime in here. I'm trying uvb but it doesn't seem to affect. I've got up to 6 minutes at a time and scared to go longer. Not sure if the soreness is burn or just the psoriasis as I'm always trying to pick the scales away Can't find any info online on how long it typically requires for scalp. Everywhere else on my body does well with 2 to 3 minutes. Protopic works quite well to take the redness off my hairline but it's very greasy. I had elocon lotion which works very well but felt like it perhaps makes it come back worse. It's a strong steroid and I would only have success of I used as often as twice a week usually which according to the label is too often.

Posted Fri 15 Jan 2021 09.17 by EmmaB

My daughter 16 had really thick scales on her scalp. We are tried cocois, enstilar and every shampoo, lotion and creams prescribed. Everything helped for a little while but never truly rid her scalp. A family member recommended using goats milk shampoo bars and fingers crossed this is the longest she has gone without the thick scaling and has a clear scalp. She still get very red patches along her hairline, inside ears and back of neck but her scalp is amazing. Her scalp is still a little dry and dandruffy but we are amazed at how well this has gone for her. Her hair also feels so smooth and silky. I bought from The Little Goat Soap Company they have an online shop. Bought a couple of bars to start with to see but now buy in bulk. Bars go very soft in shower so recommend buying a soap bag to use and hold them in. Worth a try for us this has been life changing and although we know it could well be temporary I would highly recommend giving this a go.

Posted Fri 15 Jan 2021 09.57 by scarletsmummy

thank you Emma, i will give it a go I have managed to control it on most of my body and was put on a dose of acitretin ( which had such severe side effects i lost all my eyebrows and lashes an my hair fell out in clumps along with developed various other life changing side effects) my hair is growing back now but sadly so is the psoriasis .As will all these treatments they are all short lived , if there was a magical cure or treatment they would prescribe it on the NHS as it would save millions. I will try the goats milk shampoo though

Posted Fri 15 Jan 2021 10.04 by EmmaB

My daughters body still has numerous patches but the scalp was by far the worst and most difficult to treat especially having such thick hair. Due to previous treatments and combing out scales her hair is now a lot thinner but hopefully she will get some regrowth now her scalp is better. I really hope it works for you as it has for her (for now). She noticed a difference after the first few washes.

Posted Fri 15 Jan 2021 19.44 by Mario64

My 11yo daughter's scalp was awful and she had guttate on her body. After much deliberation we decided to put her in gluten free and dairy free diet. She cleared up rapidly, 6 weeks and it was all gone and has never come back. I tried the diet myself for 2 years and got no skin benefit, though my gut is probably happier I'd say, and it forced me to eat more natural, no processed food. I wonder with kids if the reason they improve is hormone related as they go through that stage. And whatever treatment we are trying at the time, we end up attributing the success to that when it is merely coincidence.

Posted Fri 15 Jan 2021 19.49 by scarletsmummy

I have had Psoriasis for over 30 years and I tried a Dairy and gluten free diet for about 10 years But the relief was VERY short lived as with all the creams lotions and potions I just wish someone would come up with a magical cure , we are the forgotten sufferers

Posted Tue 2 Mar 2021 20.41 by Bethritchie

Hi. I’ve been using Synalar but in its gel format. Prescribed by the GP and it’s really good. I’ve tried everything else possible. I really wanted something that didn’t make my hair greasy! Have you tried that one? Beth

Posted Fri 5 Mar 2021 16.22 by molthomp

I have had scalp psoriasis since a child (now 59 years old). I have now started get hair loss with it as well which is rather scary. I have recently started cocois which helps remove the scales but does not stop the continuous itching. Has anyone got any advice re: dealing with the hair loss?

To take part, sign in or register with us