Scalp & behind ear psoriasis

Posted Mon 11 Jan 2021 12.31 by Becky93

Hello, I am new on this website and was wondering if people can tell me what’s best for psoriasis behind the ears and on the scalp. I’ve been suffering with this for years now, when I was pregnant it went away but it’s all come back now. It’s recently became really sore and itchy and wondering if anyone has any good tips please. Thanks :)

Posted Mon 11 Jan 2021 12.34 by Tobysgranny

I use Dovobet Gel for my scalp and behind my ears. The morning after applying the Dobobet Gel, before shampooing my hair, I use neat Capasal shampoo to get rid of the greasiness then shampoo as normal

Posted Mon 11 Jan 2021 12.39 by Becky93

Thank you for this, do you get these from your doctor or over the counter?

Posted Mon 11 Jan 2021 14.07 by Leila

Hi. I am also new to the forum. I've been living with psoriasis for 40yrs since childhood but thankfully at the moment it's not too bad. My son, however, who is 17 has really bad scalp psoriarsis. We have been using Dovobet Gel but it contains a strong corticosteroid so his doctor said we should use it for 3 weeks and then have a break. Each treatment session created huge improvement but then within a few weeks it would be back as bad as before. So having read another discussion on this forum I ordered The Body Shop Ginger Shampoo and Conditioner and WOW what a difference. I would say a 90% reduction in scaling and much less irritation within the first week. He's also started on BioKult prebiotic capsules and is having a handful of blueberries everyday. I know from experience that everyone's psoriasis behaves differently but I would definitely give The Body Shop Ginger shampoo a try as it's created a better improvement than anything else I've ever tried. When my psoriasis is bad behind my ears I use Aloe Propolis cream on it, I also use Dovobet ointment occasionally to get it under control but you will need to see your doctor to get that. Hope you find something that helps.

Posted Mon 11 Jan 2021 14.11 by Becky93

Hi Leila, That is really helpful information and also I’m a body shop rep so I could order some of that ginger shampoo and give it a go. I’ve also contacted my doctors to see if they can give me something aswell as it’s starting to get really sore and driving me mad!

Posted Mon 11 Jan 2021 17.56 by Maz

Hi, sorry to hear you have a bad flare up behind the ears and scalp. I have bad scalp and ear flare ups. I even get it inside my ear canal, and a couple of bad flare ups there have left me with tinnitus... I find pure coconut oil helped me in sorting out the flare up behind my ears. In terms of ear canals, the only thing that ever worked was spending some time with my family out in California, as I think the vitamin D really helped. I think you can get vitamin D supplements and lamps, so that could be a good alternative. I now manage my psoriasis through diet, there is a great book called 'Healing psoriasis" that i got off amazon, and although I don't always follow it strictly, it has really helped me and I no longer use steroids. I actually found that more i used steroids, the more flare ups I ended up having.The cream would half-clear it and then it would come straight back, and I hope this doesn't happen to you! Would 100% recommend getting the book xx

Posted Mon 11 Jan 2021 18.14 by Becky93

Hi Maz, Yeah I get it in my ear canal aswell which I’ve only just noticed recently. I also suffer with low vitamin D levels so that probably doesn’t help. Thank you for your help, I will have a look into all this and see how I get on.

Posted Wed 27 Jan 2021 23.46 by scc

Hi Becky, ive had p for about 22 years, now on the injections (age 36). Ive never really found any creams etc helped (hence the injections) apart from protopic. Really helped me on the hairline, behind and in the ears, nose, eye brows etc but not one for the scalp itself but at least for me it helped the visible areas. Annoyingly it always came straight back but it cleared me which no other creams did and my p didnt respond to anything else. I would recommend giving this a go if you can. All the best,

Posted Thu 28 Jan 2021 16.20 by Rumpy1980

I've suffered really bad that my whole scalp is covered, I use diprosalic ointment, leave on my head over night ( wear a hat as so greasy) and i use a comb to lift the plaque off the scalp, qnd then wash off takes a few washes I might add but I feel so much better, Now I don't have to do that as much as just been put on ciclosprine and it is working wonders!!! I have severe psoarsis and I know how you all feel, I tried everything and now ciclosprine is my last resort and I must say I am pleased with the results so far and im 2 weeks into my medication, although I do not enjoy the side effects but if I can feel normal for one day without scratching myself to bits it is worth it!! I hope you find some relief soon. Becky

Posted Wed 3 Feb 2021 15.31 by Mandomin

Like so many I can sympathtise with your situation . I too suffer with scalp and ear Psoriasis and I get it on my face. It seems to worse in the winter so again vitamin D is lacking. This year I tried something different. I went completely dairy free and the results have been good. I loved cheese and to give it up was not easy but worth it. No eggs or milk used plant based milk for my tea. I understand that not every sufferer's are the same and some say diet makes no difference but in my case it has. I made the mistake of eating Pizza two days ago and have payed the price. I now have a flare up. I believe it was the cheese and knew even as I was eating it it was a mistake. Like I say it may not help everyone but worth a try after all I think this condition has to be treated from within, external treatment only covers the issues. After all we are what we eat

Posted Wed 3 Feb 2021 19.56 by Redali31 (edited Wed 3 Feb 2021 20.04 by Redali31)

hi there. I’ve had scalp p on & off for 30 yrs. I too get it in ear canal and sunshine really helps. i rarely get a flare up in summer. I’ve been through all sorts of lotions & potions but dovibet gel and diprosalic ointment really helped me last time i had a bad flare up. However it was prescribed by the dermatologist at the hospital and my own gp will not prescribe it for me now, when it’s really bad again because they say it’s a “secondary treatment “? and as they can’t currently refer me to the hospital because of covid- they can’t help. I’ve managed to get the diprosalic though 🤷‍♀️. So, if you can get dovobet gel, it’s worth a try. it’s very gentle with lanolin and not like the alcohol based liquids (betnovate etc). I personally find them agonising. They burn like crazy and make it worse. I sometimes use olive oil with a bit of tea tree oil. that moisturises my scalp and eases the itch when it’s not too bad...coconut oil is good too but i have long hair and it’s difficult to rinse out. It’s just a case of trying what works for you. I also tried the dairy free diet and i actually found it got worse (we are all different, sadly). i ended up switching from dairy free options and semi/skimmed milk to full milk and really noticed an improvement. Apparently some of us need a particular enzyme that is only found in full milk? Anybody else heard that?? i’ve looked at the body shop ginger shampoo and wondered about trying it, so after reading about it on here, i’ll definitely be trying that soon. Maybe give that a go too. Good luck with it... we all understand

Posted Wed 3 Feb 2021 23.54 by SharonG

Check out the Blueberry thread - they might help?

Posted Thu 4 Feb 2021 00.01 by Becky93

Thank you everyone for your answers. It really does help reading these and trying things. The doctors did prescribe me something but can’t remember the name so will write it on here tomorrow. Also I noticed when I was pregnant with my daughter 3 years ago it cleared up so well then as soon as she was born it all came back again.

Posted Fri 5 Feb 2021 05.49 by june

Hi I use a small smear of vaseline, just inside my ears,on the advice of my doctor,it takes the scale away and the itch,and it's not expensive.

Posted Fri 5 Feb 2021 08.50 by Redali31

It’s interesting you mention pregnancy clearing it up. Hormones definitely play a part in this... along with stress My p isn’t there all the time, luckily. i tend to get flare ups when i’m stressed, so menopause is great!! jeez But, for me, t’s just something i’ve learned to live with. It’s part of who i am. My body is prone to overreacting by causing inflammation /itchy skin when under stress, poorly (rarely) or just plain knackered! (life after giving birth?) But it is manageable for me with minimal medication. Not so for other fellow sufferers, sadly. without major medical intervention, with can bring huge benefits, of course, but can have icky side effects. But, as i’ve pointed out on here previously, you still need to live your life. Stress is always there- you’re alive! Yes to the vaseline. I used that when my eyebrows got a bit crusty a few years ago. Worked a treat. Thanks for reminding me... see, menopause brain again! Because we are all different it’s a case of trying to find what works for you and this is great place to find ideas... Good luck 🤞

To take part, sign in or register with us