Scalp & behind ear psoriasis

Posted Mon 11 Jan 2021 12.31pm by Becky93

Hello,

I am new on this website and was wondering if people can tell me what’s best for psoriasis behind the ears and on the scalp. I’ve been suffering with this for years now, when I was pregnant it went away but it’s all come back now. It’s recently became really sore and itchy and wondering if anyone has any good tips please. Thanks :)

Posted Mon 11 Jan 2021 12.34pm by Tobysgranny

I use Dovobet Gel for my scalp and behind my ears. The morning after applying the Dobobet Gel, before shampooing my hair, I use neat Capasal shampoo to get rid of the greasiness then shampoo as normal

Posted Mon 11 Jan 2021 12.39pm by Becky93

Thank you for this, do you get these from your doctor or over the counter?

Posted Mon 11 Jan 2021 2.07pm by Leila

Hi. I am also new to the forum. I've been living with psoriasis for 40yrs since childhood but thankfully at the moment it's not too bad. My son, however, who is 17 has really bad scalp psoriarsis.

We have been using Dovobet Gel but it contains a strong corticosteroid so his doctor said we should use it for 3 weeks and then have a break. Each treatment session created huge improvement but then within a few weeks it would be back as bad as before.

So having read another discussion on this forum I ordered The Body Shop Ginger Shampoo and Conditioner and WOW what a difference. I would say a 90% reduction in scaling and much less irritation within the first week.

He's also started on BioKult prebiotic capsules and is having a handful of blueberries everyday. I know from experience that everyone's psoriasis behaves differently but I would definitely give The Body Shop Ginger shampoo a try as it's created a better improvement than anything else I've ever tried.

When my psoriasis is bad behind my ears I use Aloe Propolis cream on it, I also use Dovobet ointment occasionally to get it under control but you will need to see your doctor to get that.

Hope you find something that helps.

Posted Mon 11 Jan 2021 2.11pm by Becky93

Hi Leila,

That is really helpful information and also I’m a body shop rep so I could order some of that ginger shampoo and give it a go.

I’ve also contacted my doctors to see if they can give me something aswell as it’s starting to get really sore and driving me mad!

Posted Mon 11 Jan 2021 5.56pm by Maz

Hi, sorry to hear you have a bad flare up behind the ears and scalp. I have bad scalp and ear flare ups. I even get it inside my ear canal, and a couple of bad flare ups there have left me with tinnitus...

I find pure coconut oil helped me in sorting out the flare up behind my ears. In terms of ear canals, the only thing that ever worked was spending some time with my family out in California, as I think the vitamin D really helped. I think you can get vitamin D supplements and lamps, so that could be a good alternative.

I now manage my psoriasis through diet, there is a great book called 'Healing psoriasis" that i got off amazon, and although I don't always follow it strictly, it has really helped me and I no longer use steroids. I actually found that more i used steroids, the more flare ups I ended up having.The cream would half-clear it and then it would come straight back, and I hope this doesn't happen to you! Would 100% recommend getting the book xx

Posted Mon 11 Jan 2021 6.14pm by Becky93

Hi Maz,

Yeah I get it in my ear canal aswell which I’ve only just noticed recently. I also suffer with low vitamin D levels so that probably doesn’t help. Thank you for your help, I will have a look into all this and see how I get on.

To take part, sign in or register with us

The Psoriasis Association is the UK's leading national charity and membership organisation for people affected by psoriasis – patients, families, carers and health professionals Read More >

Get in touch

The Psoriasis Association Dick Coles House 2 Queensbridge Northampton NN4 7BF

Email: mail@psoriasis-association.org.uk

Tel :
01604 251 620
WhatsApp :
Registered with Fundraising Regulator -

© The Psoriasis Association Charitable Incorporated Organisation Number: 1180666 Scotland: SC049563 Privacy PolicyCookies

Site by Spoken Image | glitterfish

We use cookies to help us provide you with a better service, but do not track anything that can be used to personally identify you.

If you prefer us not to set these cookies, please visit our Cookie Settings page or continue browsing our site to accept them.