Please help me

Posted Thu 14 Jan 2021 17.38 by Stumaycroft

Hello everyone, This is my 1st post having just joined so bare with me. To give a background, I am 42 and was diagnosed with plaque psoriasis at the age of 20. In the beginning, it was my elbows most affected. This has been my worst year ever! I have this literally everywhere, even my genitals have not escaped. The issue i am experiencing is the dermatologist at my local hospital. Every time I have a call with her she says ''I will give you this cream'', which to me feels like ''slap some of this on and your be fine'' I have been given cream since I was diagnosed, none of them work any longer. and indeed one set made it worse! I am seriously going out of my mind with the itching. I am up at 4am and need to leave by 04:45 for work, I don't have the time, nor can I reach every area within that timeframe. I now have low self-esteem and low confidence to boot. So my question is, can I force the issue and demand more? I am aware that other treatments are available but none of these are offered to me. I can not afford to go private so I am left at their mercy. Any help or advice would be great. Stu

Posted Fri 15 Jan 2021 17.08 by Winston316

Hi , really feel for you and sometimes feel annoyed that the dermatologist just bat off your concerns with cream . Ring them ASAP and tell them how it is affecting your sleep and day to day life and ask for something different like light therapy, maybe not for everyone but only thing that works for me . Good luck going forward

Posted Fri 15 Jan 2021 18.04 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Hi Stu, sorry to hear your current position. It sounds like over the years you have exhausted the creams and ointments without much success. I agree with Winston to get in touch with the derm dept again. Beforehand do your research on what is usually offered to NHS patients (if you are in the UK). The next step after creams is usually light treatment and systemic meds I.e tablets, then biologics. Of course this depends how severe your P is but sounds bad from what you say. As well as effecting your self esteem is it effecting you phsycologicaly or your mental health? If so I would raise that with your derm. If you are offered systemic then be aware of possible side effects plus tests required. If offered light treatment at your hospital then you may have to wait due to Covid plus be prepared to have to attend 3 times a week for a few seconds under the lamp. It does increase and can have great results. I hope you get relief soon.

Posted Thu 28 Jan 2021 15.29 by Fiona123

Hi Stu, This is my first post too. Your post resonated with me. I am 47 and have P for twenty years. I have had flares up over the years and had light therapy once but i have to say this is the worst ever. It is red, angry, sore, scaly and covers around 80% of my body. I am going through a difficult divorce and lost my dad so its clearly stress related. I have tried cutting out dairy and gluten this last few weeks and it did calm the itchiness a bit but today it is angry as ever. All the scales drop to the floor when i undress or move. Its so distressing and today i feel the lowest i have in a while. It's an awful disease and really takes a toll on your mental health. Sorry, just needed to offload as nobody i know has psoriasis so wouldn't know how badly it makes you feel. Thanks for listening whoever reads this. Fiona

Posted Sat 30 Jan 2021 17.44 by Lindz Devine

I would get back in touch with your Dermatology department and ask for an appointment, whether its a zoom call or a phone call. However, a zoom call is better to be able to show your psoriasis to them. Have you considered trying to avoid SLS? Sodium Laureth Sulfate and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate... they are prone to flaring psoriasis up. Unfortunately they are also in ALOT of shower gels, body washes, shampoos and hand washes. I have noticed since using non SLS products it isn't as red and raw. Nor is it itchy. The weather and the pandemic isn't gonna help the condition either. I know mine tends to get worse in the colder months, and my scalp is unmanageable due to the dryness of my scalp. It took me 13 years to get my doctor to finally refer me to a Dermatologist, because all they did was thrown creams, ointments at me etc etc. I was put on Enstilar in 2008 and again after 6 months, like with every treatment, it stopped working. Luckily now, after avoiding SLS and using Body Shop Shea butter products and Almond Milk and Honey products, my skin has never been better... in the warm weather lol. Also have you considered asking your Dermatology for light therapy? If not, I would suggest it wholesome. When I did 7 weeks of UVB therapy my psoriasis cleared up, first time in 13 years... it has come back again but that's because treatment was stopped. But like people has said ring them again, explain the mental health side of things too, not jus the physical and emotional sides... my new doctor referred me without any hesitation. They can't say no.

To take part, sign in or register with us