Very Worried

Posted Tue 2 Feb 2021 19.44 by Old Girl

Two weeks ago got my first "taste" of Guttate Psoriasis. Started with rash on neck, now both arms/legs & back is covered. Am using Betnovate RD, but it's not going away. Is there a better cream for treatment? Or what about tablets from doctors, do they give problems? So many questions to ask! Final one, how long before it goes, I'm in my 80's

Posted Tue 2 Feb 2021 20.03 by scarletsmummy

Unfortunately there is no cure for psoriasis the lotions and potions may give flight relief but it never clears completely. I have had it now for 35 years and although it eases for a while it always comes back or moves t OK another location. All you can do is use the prescribed creams and lotions and hope you find some ease from it, doctors will be against giving you steroids because of your age as it thins your skin. I am sure it's not the news you wanted but there is no known cure for it but you may find relief

Posted Tue 2 Feb 2021 20.31 by Old Girl (edited Tue 2 Feb 2021 21.29 by Old Girl)

Thanks for reply Mummy. Never had it before, just hope another cream works better. Has anybody any ideas of the best cream for Guttate Ps.? Perhaps I should say "Topical Steroids" as I'm currently using Betnovate? My Back/Arms are covered!

Posted Fri 5 Feb 2021 15.17 by Old Girl

Replies?

1 Posted Fri 5 Feb 2021 15.22 by scarletsmummy

??

Posted Fri 5 Feb 2021 15.39 by Old Girl

See my post above dated 2nd Feb!

Posted Fri 5 Feb 2021 16.06 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I had plaque psoriasis from age 22. It actually startred to appear on the day after my 22nd birthday. It subsided eventually and was helped a lot by living in sunny places and swimming in the sea. at age 60 I had a hip replacement and 4-6 weeks later I started itching, and within a few more days my trunk was covered in guttate psoriasis, and my scalp had no actual lesions but seems inundated with dandruff, having not had anything for about 30 years. My GP informed me that giuttate psoriasis can sometimnes be triggered by physical trauma, and the hip replacement could fit the bill. He advised that in such cases it can go away after 6 months or so. Around the 6 months mark mine began to fade and by 8 months it had gone again.

Posted Fri 5 Feb 2021 16.12 by Old Girl

Oh No, Well thanks, that's quite positive. Any ideas for best treatments, or is it different for everyone?

Posted Fri 5 Feb 2021 17.05 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Sorry to hear you have just developed P Old Girl. Everyone is different in how they react to meds. There are numerous creams and ointments your GP may prescribe from mild to strong steroid based applications. For stronger meds usually you have try and fail creams and ointments first. It is all about trial and error I am afraid. Lots of good advice and tips on here.

Posted Fri 5 Feb 2021 17.21 by Old Girl

OK, ready for the trip!

Posted Fri 5 Feb 2021 17.37 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Mon 15 Feb 2021 07.44 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

I discussed with my GP. The gutatte was in small spots all over me - to use a steroid I would have had to slather it over good skin as well as the psoriasis. OR spend hours spotting it on each individual lesion. So i used exorex coal-tar and psoriderm with lecithin, both coal-tar based preparations on the parts of my body I could reach (I live alone). All day I used moisturiser to calm down itching - my favourite was Doublebase Dayleve Gel. In evening before bed, a lukewarm bath with "Oilatum Plus" bath oil calmed the iotching on my back such that I could get off to sleep. Shanpoo: I used "alphacade PSO" and it did stop the itching and was not at all drying on my hair. I tried cocois/sebco coal tar ointment. But it was too awkward to try and apply through my thick hair, workinmg in the mirror, so i gave up as most of it ended up on my hair.

Posted Sun 14 Feb 2021 21.33 by Old Girl

Dermatologist has recommended "Enstilar Foam" & "Epaderm Ointment" Has anybody had experience of using these & the results?

Posted Sun 14 Feb 2021 23.58 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Enstillar is widely prescribed, numerous threads on here about it. It is a very strong steroid, just be careful, follow the guidance plus try not to get on healthy skin. Epaderm is an emmolient/moisturiser. Good luck

Posted Mon 15 Feb 2021 16.44 by Old Girl

Ref. not getting on healthy skin, I'm covered with spots/rashes/Red patches, so what's the penalty for getting on healthy skin?

Posted Mon 15 Feb 2021 16.53 by scarletsmummy

if you get Steroid lotions/creams on health skin it makes the skin very thin and you could get stretch marks ,bruising ,discolouration and make your skin thin, thin spidery blood vessels could burst under the skin You could also develop other skin complaints such as acne, or dermatitis

Posted Mon 15 Feb 2021 17.37 by Old Girl

The problem goes round in circles, but thanks for reply!

Posted Mon 15 Feb 2021 17.53 by scarletsmummy

unfortunately yes it does , I have had it over 30 years you just sometimes find something that eases it a little but there is no known cure

To take part, sign in or register with us