Need some advice on the methotrexate

Posted Sun 7 Feb 2021 19.33 by Linds

I have been now diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and have psoriasis all over me. I was put on sulfasalazine and I could not take it had a bad reaction to it. And now they want to try methotrexate what is everyone experience with these meds and any advice. I am 33 years old and only been diagnosed the last few months and have been suffering badly with this condition. Thank you

Posted Sun 7 Feb 2021 23.56 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

My experience comes from P not PsA but I took Mtx for a number of years with relatively good clearance. Of course it has side effects like most drugs do. I soon learned to take the tablets at bedtime the night before I had a day off work, usually every Sat night. That way I slept off much of the nausea affects plus could have a sleep in or rest if needed. Drink plenty of fluids before hand. Hope it works for you.

Posted Mon 8 Feb 2021 04.03 by Linds

Thankyou, was you ever sick with these medication or just feeling sick with them? I'm just so nervous about having them as the other tablets made me feel so horrible.

Posted Mon 8 Feb 2021 13.06 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

I was never sick as such but had the nausea affects every week for a day or so after taking it. I had never experienced nausea before, it was unpleasant but I got used to it for the benefit the drug gave me. Also I noticed if I drank alcohol the night of taking Mtx, I would have a terrible headache the next day. Again I learned quickly not to do that again.

Posted Mon 8 Feb 2021 13.28 by Linds

Ok thank your help.

Posted Wed 24 Feb 2021 14.30 by Ian66

Hi I’ve had my first dose of Methotrexate today. 6 tablets, 15mg altogether. After an hour I felt extremely drowsy and the colour drained from my face but after laying down for 20 minutes I felt fine. Will see how it goes. Good luck. Ian

Posted Thu 25 Feb 2021 10.26 by Lauren

I’ve been taking methotrexate for 3 months on the strongest dose. My doctor told me not to have any alcohol whilst on this drug as it’s very dangerous for your liver. I take mine at night and am usually wiped out the next day but then I recover and start to get back to normal. I’m yet to see improvement but it’s a slow drug so fingers crossed will start soon. Good luck x

Posted Sun 21 Mar 2021 08.06 by Linds

Thank you im still not seeing any improvement either at the mo I know it works slowly but let hope it starts changing soon. I also finding hard losing weight it just keeps going on? Anyone else had this problem? X

To take part, sign in or register with us