just need some help

Posted Mon 8 Feb 2021 15.11 by Barrel2182

Four months ago I had never heard of psoriasis and now it covers 80-90% of my skin, it's in small dots but in most places, that's slowly just become one red dry itchy blob that is covering everything, every day I use aqueous cream in the shower then get out and cover my entire body in cetreben. I was prescribed steroid creams that were incredibly strong but they just hid it for a day and then it came back worse after and gave me horrendous mood swings so I've decided to stop with them, the GP has referred me to a dermatologist but it has been over a month and it hasn't even been reviewed, I don't sleep at night as it's so painful and wake up every morning to a bed covered in skin, sex is impossible now as its spread severely around my foreskin and that was the last pleasure I had in life, have mostly cut out sugar caffeine tobacco and alcohol but not easy as I'm a student, I eat lots of fruit and have a very healthy and balanced diet and drink about 3-4 litres of water a day, I just want this to get better I can't live the rest of my life like this what else can I do and will it be like this every winter? I'm being treated with acupuncture but I don't know if it's helping at all

Posted Mon 8 Feb 2021 21.16 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Sorry to hear that. At least you have managed one milestone to arrange a refferal which I believe people are finding difficult at present. If you don't hear shortly I would contact your GP again to rush things on for you. At the same time try to talk to someone at the GP and express how you are feeling physically and also how it affects you emotionally. Don't hold back, it may help speed up the process. In the meantime I think you are doing what you can under the circumstances. Keep moisturising if nothing else. I hope you make some progress and get relief soon. Good luck.

Posted Tue 9 Feb 2021 11.58 by Barrel2182

Thank you I'll keep pushing, what are the signs of remission? For example in the last few days it's been much less red and angry and raised but significantly more painful than usual, don't know if this is the process of it getting better or getting ready to get worse

Posted Tue 9 Feb 2021 20.47 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Hi again, I have never had natural remission but my P has improved when I have been having treatments. I know when it is improving when the plaques start to thin and get smaller. Then it will smooth off and can see healthy skin underneath, Over time as it continues to improve the area where the patch was will fade. Keep on at the docs.

Posted Mon 15 Feb 2021 23.51 by Reenie

Hi. Hope you've managed to speak to the dermatologist? My psoriasis on my arms and legs started as small dots, a colleague of mine thought I was self harming as the psoriasis looked like I had put fags out on my skin. They then merged and created big patches which were red painfull itchy and scally. I first used 50:50 soft paraffin cream from the chemist, which helped ease the itching. When I applied to my legs I started wearing knee length socks which helped as my skin wouldn't dry so easily. As for on my arms they would dry out in hours as I have a uniform for work. They used to get so sore I couldn't control my itching and at times made them bleed. After 2 years I started using a moisturiser called zero double prescribed by the GP along with Vitamin D tablets (from Holland and Barrett) As I'm currently off work I've been wearing long sleeve tops which has helped them from drying. And I'm definitely seeing a improvement. Psoriasis will take a while to get under control. And it can get you down, patience is required. What may work for one person may not work for another. Hope this helps

Posted Sat 20 Feb 2021 15.02 by fallon1983

Hello, firstly, you have come to the right place. I am sorry to hear of your situation, I totally understand how you must feel. Stay strong and keep looking for different options until you find one which works significantly. I developed it at 13 years old, i'm 37 now. I have nursed/creamed my mother who has suffered it for years too. Over the years it spreads to different areas. After me and my mother being prescribed creams for years, they finally helped her by giving her a tablet , which has cleared her skin! It can flare back up (for stress or other reasons) but makes a significant difference to her mental health and mood, as she isnt depressed due to being sore. Couple of years after that, about two years ago, after me begging doctors to help me, after 20 yr of suffering as young woman who worked three jobs, they gave me tablets. i have to have blood tests before they prescribe mine as they are very strong, Hydroxycarbamide, 3 per day. They have cleared my skin! It feels amazing and same as my mum, it helps my metal health / depression/ soreness as I am actually cleared. I still itch, but no soreness. I never thought I would say it can be cleared, but it can, with the right doctor to finally help and understand your situation. Currently, I have a new and worse problem. my only child developed Psoriasis last year at 7 years old. i knew she probably would, but at such young age I was shocked and despaired. However, an advantage is that I have battled it before, and know exactly how it feels, I use different creams for different areas and seen dermaologist. Hers is spreading quicker than mine or my Mums ever did. Her paternal grandmother also has it, and her paternal uncle. The other grandma has injections for hers which take the P away. Also, I find emulsifying ointment after every bath eases the soreness and keeps it moisturised, for me and my daughter's skin, maybe this will work for you. Also Dovabet ointment is effective, though will not take it away. Lastly, I came on here, like you, for advice, as I am a very worried mother of a confident beautiful girl whom i worry for as she attends theatre school and dream is to be a singer, and i don't want her bullied at school or her confidence to diminish. Thankfully, today someone on my thread has suggested eating a cupful of blueberries each day. It has worked for many psoriasis sufferers, please click link to to the thread on this site: https://www.psoriasis-association.org.uk/forums/topic.aspx?ID=1314 After 3-4 weeks it could actually clear the Psoriasis. This is the next option fro my daughter to try, we shall start today and Pray that it will work. Please also try as it could be as simple as that, to eat blueberries, they are an anti-inflammatory, natural option. I am sorry to hear of your situation, I totally understand how you must feel. Stay strong and keep looking for different options until you find one which works significantly.

To take part, sign in or register with us