Biologics

Posted Sun 21 Feb 2021 17.56 by Tracyjane

Hi does anyone know anything about biologics, what is it & do they prescribe through nhs.. My sons dermatologist told me to read up about injection & tablet forms of treatment, is this biologics ? thanks x

Posted Sun 21 Feb 2021 18.06 by scarletsmummy

I have no experience about these but if you Google biotic for psoriasis a list if drugs will come up, however from experience anything available on the NHS has to be costed so if these are expensive they will not be available you would need to check that with your doctor as each health authority is different

Posted Sun 21 Feb 2021 18.24 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Hi Tracy, there are numerous types of biologic medications available, depending on treating P, PsA or both. What does your Son suffer with? To be prescribed biologics on the NHS the doctors usually have to follow the NICE guidelines. Also P patients usually have to try and failed topicals, light treatment and systemic (oral treatments) before biologics. The systemic meds for P include Acitretin, methotrexate (tablet and injectable form) and cyclospirin for example. As well as methotrexate there are other treatments for PsA. Another factor the docs may consider when prescribing is your Sons age.

Posted Sun 21 Feb 2021 19.07 by Tracyjane

Hi he is nearly 13 & has only seen the dermatologist once & was prescribed elinstar which worked quite well but came back worse when stopped. I’m now trying dovonex & blueberries. The dermatologist told me to read up about the other treatments. So the next appointment was by telephone & she asked me if I had read up & I said I didn’t like the sound of methotrexate for one so young. She didn’t mention light treatment that’s not available at the moment or I would have given that a go. I don’t remember if she told me what type of psoriasis he has or she just said psoriasis

Posted Sun 21 Feb 2021 19.54 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Hi again, they may try other topical before moving on to stronger meds. 13 is still a young age to have to start systemic treatment. With any of the systemic and biologic treatments could come with side effects unfortunately. Personally I would hope a good Dermatologist would guide you rather than asking you to search what you want for your Son. Hypothetically you could set your heart on biologics and then be told sorry patient isn't old enough or hasnt tried enough alternatives or is too expensive if you understand what I mean. I hope your Son gets something that works.

Posted Sun 21 Feb 2021 20.15 by Tracyjane

Yes I get that & I hope that we find something else that works before having to make that decision.. Thankyou steview.

To take part, sign in or register with us