Psoriasis on face

Posted Tue 9 Mar 2021 14.44 by Clari

I have developed psoriasis on my face - cheeks, forehead, eyebrows and creeping from my hairline in front of my ears. It is very bad too in scalp and ears. Can anyone suggest a cream, ointment or lotion that helps? I have had psoriasis since I was six. I am now 65. As a child it was very bad all over my body and scalp. It became more controllable when I was at university, but still very present. 20 years ago I developed psoriatic arthritis and take methotrexate which has worked well and pretty well cleared the psoriasis on my body. Unfortunately, it affected my liver & I was taken off it and everything came back even worse - and now psoriasis on my face quite badly. I have now been put back on a smaller dose of methotrexate but am very worried about my face. Any advice welcome!

Posted Thu 11 Mar 2021 13.48 by bargainlovingmum

Hiya Clari - I'm so sorry you are going through that. I've had that off and on regularly, too. I've stopped using all toiletry products except cleansing with coconut oil on my face (wiping off with a warm muslin cloth), and using rosehip oil at least twice a day as my main moisturiser (with extra coconut oil if needed). Rosehip oil has been a brilliant ingredient to help with my psoriasis on my face and hairline. It takes a few days for patches to lessen and eventually stop, but it's gentle and good in my experience. I used to love my hair products, but I've moved to argan oil to help stop frizz and shampoo bar (with very limited, gentle ingredients). I also read that deodorants/antiperspirants can aggravate psoriasis on the face etc, so I've gone to one of those very natural deodorants with no irritants in. I really hope things go great for you, and healing comes quickly.

Posted Thu 1 Apr 2021 14.15 by Jockette61

I've just been diagnosed with (first-time) psoriasis mainly on forehead/eyelids/in&behind ears - sounds very similar to yours? My consultant prescribed Protopic (tacrolimus) ointment which has cleared it up very quickly. Awaiting follow-up appt to see how/when I can go on to maintenance (or no) treatment. But definitely worth investigating from a medical treatment perspective. Good luck!

Posted Thu 1 Apr 2021 19.25 by Northerner21

Vaseline works well for me because the forehead and ears and my chest are the only areas that are still problematic for me. I apply the vaseline night and morning and it keeps the flakes away. I managed to get myself into remission using high strength vitamin d3 10,000 iu and a multivitamin every day, its transformed my life. I am now a firm believer that psoriasis needs fixing from the inside out then it can be managed easily with whatever cream, oils or whatever works for you. It is an auto immune disorder at the end of the day, treat it from the inside out then manage it. I wish you all the best.

Posted Fri 9 Apr 2021 21.11 by Cinny333

Enstillar cleared mine. Oh your aren't supposed to use it on your face...oops haha

Posted Sun 11 Apr 2021 07.53 by Emelst (edited Sun 11 Apr 2021 07.54 by Emelst)

CeraVe Eye cream have massively improved my psoriasis around the eyes and cheeks. I use it morning and evening. It hasn't cleared it but has calmed it down and made it a lot less noticeable.

Posted Tue 13 Apr 2021 12.53 by redzo98

Hey Clari, P on your face really sucks, I used to get it reaaaaally bad and exactly the same spots as you, made me feel like poop! One thing that cleared it consistently every year is protopic ointment and I would just put on a tiny bit before bed on every patch - ask your GP!! Also vitamin E oil is great for it, I would rub that into the patches in the morning to keep them soft and not flaky. Hope this helps a bit and hope you are ok!

To take part, sign in or register with us